GUN One shot, one kill v.usedmydeertag

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AVengeance, Nov 16, 2004.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Last night, I was getting ready to head out to the wooded area by my backyard. I was all "geared up". I always charge my AR15 before I step outside, so I don't make a loud noise once out. I had no sooner stepped off my back porch, and I see two deer grazing in my yard.
    I said something out loud (something like "well damnit, that was fast", and both deer turned toward me and stopped grazing. I scoped up the first one, and it started to turn away. I didn't have a good body shot, so I went for a head shot. BAM. I SLIT ITS THROAT, as I would later observe. It went down, and did not get back on its feet. The other one jumped, and I put it in my scope. It went through the treeline, and I never had a clean shot. I set the rifle down, and ran over and unsheathed my knife. I took a look at the buck I'd downed, and found the bullet went right through the windpipe. I'd forgotten to aim a little higher for the distance (I should just adjust my scope up slightly to compensate). It was a near miss, but in the end a perfect shot.

My wife and I were up 'till 11pm putting food in the freezer.:drool:
    And she's a little jealous she went with her bro over the weekend and didn't come back with anything, and I stepped outside and nabbed one in 5 min.

:rl:

2. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Yeah, I was supposed to go meet my dad this weekend to do a little hunting....Stayed at my g/f's house isntead on friday....Saturday morning I get up to go get something out of my truck and a big ass doe runs through her front yard and stops to look at me for about 15 seconds....I felt stupid :o

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

going for a headshot is really stupid, you could just have easily pulled the shot and tore its face apart.

4. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

:werd:, that is if you really care about the face anyways.

5. 7

I said that because odds are it wont quickly die from being shot in the face. My cousin did it and took pics, he blew its muzzle off up to its eyes and it lived :ugh:

6. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

:eek4: I thought you were just talking about mounting the head, well I kinda always thought that shooting something in the face would end it (I guess not). Either way you made a good point :wiggle:

7. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

there aren't enough or large enough vascular structures in the face to necessarily put down a deer from a side-angled shot. just like people. you would hope that it'd do the job, but adrenaline and other instantaneous hormones do a lot to put aside the fact that half the face is gone. head, yes. it's probably not going anywhere. face? maybe, but i wouldn't risk it. the more likely event is not that it'd bleed out through the wound but that its airway would swell shut from the trauma, and the lack of oxygen inspiration and CO2 expiration would quickly kill it.

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

.223 for deer :ugh:

9. soccaian

soccaian New Member

apparently it worked :dunno:

though it does seem odd for a 23 rem to down a deer instead of a 223 wssm or something of the like

10. 7

The deer my cousin shot (with a 30.06 btw) ran a long fucking ways and was still alive a half hour later when they tracked it down. It ended up taking two more shots to down it; apparently it was a fighter. :o

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

oh, i didn't mean that the swelling would happen quickly, or that it was guaranteed, but that once it did, it'd cause death in a few minutes. i'm just comparing equivalent injuries on a human to what would probably happen physiologically on a deer. if you cause severe trauma like that to the face of a human, it's probably going to threaten the airway. some of that is because of the proximity of front of the face to the pharynx, but even on a deer, if you shoot through those passageways, they're going to have blood, flesh, and swelling that will occlude them. eventually.

12. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I've shot at two deer with my .223. I've killed two deer with my .233.

I'd say that's a pretty good ratio so far.

In both cases the deer did not get up and run more than 20ft.

I like my AR15 because it's a one-shot deal. The bullets aren't BIG, but bigger isn't always better- sometimes, you need more penetrating power or stability. I didn't have a side shot, and I opted for a base-of-the skull headshot (I shoot for food, not trophies). I was about 1/2" lower and 1/4" to the right of where I intended to hit, but the deer was moving, and across a small field. If it wasn't a clear shot, I wouldn't have taken it. It was a clear shot, and it only took the one bullet I put in it.

If anyone thinks they can't take a deer with a .223 cal., I'd suggest more target practice, or knowing where to shoot your target with what gun you have.

The deer I just got was my first one with my new scope (inexpensive 3-9 x 50 Wal-Mart). I think I like the scope :)

EDIT: and I didn't even try for a face shot, so I'm not sure where that talk is coming from. That's cruel and unusual. If he'd been facing me directly when I had him scoped out, I would not have gone for a head shot (unless his body was obscured, which it wasn't).

13. Goat

You can kill a deer with a .22 Rimfire, that doesn't mean it should be done. .223 isn't good for deer because there's far too much rooom for error. And I don't know where you get the idea that .223 is better for more penetration or stability, there are countless better medium sized game cartridges that seriously outperform .223. And what's the largest bullet available in .223? 55 grains or so? That's entirely too small of a bullet for big game.

I'm not saying you can't take a deer with a .223, I'm saying you shouldn't because it's an inferior caliber for medium/big game and leaves entirely too much room for error/crippling.

As Chuck Hawks states "The .223 Remington is not a big game cartridge and should not be used for hunting deer and antelope, although it may be legal in certain jurisdictions. Shooting a 55 grain bullet, its optimum game weight is only about 19 pounds at 200 yards." (www.chuckhawks.com, this guy knows more about shooting than any of us ever will)

14. Goat

.223 WSSM still isn't meant for medium game, it's just a faster varmint cartridge. I wouldn't use either to hunt with.

15. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I would certainly not try to kill anything bigger than a rabbit with a .22 . Where I live, it's illegal to use rimfire for deer, period. I do agree that a bigger hammer gives the user more room for error without failure, but I don't have the money to invest in every kind and size of gun. I also personally prefer semiauto for hunting, although I'm going to get my son a larger caliber bolt-action for next year (and I may use it myself as well).

I know there are alot of big-bullet stopping power is the rule guys (and gals) out there, but I'm not one of them. My dad is, and enjoys making fun of me for bringing my toy gun deer hunting. Snipers don't use cannons, they use the correct tool for the job (which can mean effective range, target size, multiple-shot capability, and a host of other factors).

When I get a gun that's more appropriate, I'll use it. Until then, I'll just have to keep being a good marksman. ;)

16. 7

I know you didnt go for a face shot, I was just saying that head shots are iffy things and can easily be thrown off. :o

17. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

What.The.Fuck.

18. Goat

It was an example, rimfire is illegal to use just about everywhere, and just because centerfires are legal doesn't make all them the right choice to hunt with. Do you see guys using .204 Ruger or .17 Remington to kill deer? No.

And I'm not a big cannon guy, I use a .243 to deer hunt with, which is in my opinion, and many others, the smallest caliber you should use. and If you don't want to "invest in every size of gun" then should have bought what fits your needs in the first place, not a small caliber varmint rifle.

And if a sniper uses "the correct tool for the job", then you sir are no sniper, as you're using a caliber that is inferior to taking deer. It lacks the range, power, and size needed, all you have "multi-shot capacity" which considering the caliber, is needed. And I don't see how you call yourself a marksman when you admit you missed, but luckily hit the deer in a vital artery in the throat. You're lucky more than anything else.

19. Etherized

Etherized Active Member

Frankly, I think it's inhumane to shoot deer with .223.

20. spooney

spooney WTF Sony?

I work in sporting goods at Wal-Mart...it amazes me how many people actually hunt deer with a .223.

21. 7

I know one person that does and its a girl :hsugh: My cousin decided to get his girlfriend into hunting a year or two ago (he now realizes it was a huge mistake) and she got all pissy because he made her use a .243 when the other girl had a .223 and it kicks so much less :ugh: We sighted our rifles in this past weekend and she refused to shoot her .243 because, as she put, "last time I shot it once my arm hurt for a week." Bullshit.

22. soccaian

soccaian New Member

damn that girl is a wuss... my gf shoots my m44 in 7.62x54 all the time at the range and never complains.... weird.

23. 7

she wont gut a deer, help skin a deer, eat deer, or even touch one. I have no fucking clue why he decided he needed to include her.

24. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

uh, vagina?

25. ososlow

ososlow OT Supporter

Just because its a small round does not mean its useless or inhumane. It all depends on how good you are with it.
    My dad witnessed my great grandpa drop a moose at 25 yards with a .22LR. Mind you that was over 25 years ago so no rim/center fire laws. I have no clue how he did it. Supposedly it was an eye shot :eek4:

My dad usually goes for head or throat shots on his moose with his 30-06. The last moose he got was a throat shot. He only ran maybe 100 yards. There was congealed blood all over the place :eek4: He always puts a shot between the antlers once he finds the moose. Makes sure he is not getting up and makes for a good hole to drive a spike threw to hang on the cabin.