GUN One reportedly dead in Virginia Tech shooting

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Apr 16, 2007.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

One person was killed and one person was wounded in a shooting on the Virginia Tech university campus in Blacksburg on Monday, The Associated Press reported, quoting a state government official.

The gunman is still on the loose, police told CNN.

The shooting comes three days after a Friday bomb threat forced the cacelation of classes in three buildigns, WDBJ in Roanoke reported. Also, the 100,000-square-foot Torgersen Hall was evacuated April 2 after police received a written bombn threat, The Roanoke Times reported.

Student Matt Waldron said he did not hear the gunshots because he was listening to music, but he heard police sirens and saw officers hiding behind trees with their guns drawn.

"They told us to get out of there so we ran across the drill field as quick as we could," he said.

Waldron described the scene on campus as "mayhem."

"It was kind of scary," he said. "These two kids I guess had panicked and jumped out of the top story window and the one kid broke his ankle and the other girl was not in good shape just lying on the ground."

Students were instructed to stay indoors and away from windows, police at the university said.

"A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows," read a warning from the university.

The shooting occurred at West Ambler Johnston Hall, a co-ed dormitory that houses 895 students. The dormitory, one of the largest residence halls on campus, is located near the drill field and stadium.

"Virginia Tech has canceled all classes. Those on campus are asked to remain where they are, lock their doors and stay away from windows. Persons off campus are asked not to come to campus," a statement on the university Web site said.

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I am glad you aren't able to carry concealed on VT's Campus. Things like this would never happen :hs:

3. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

. Cant carry on any university, public or private, in FL. Probably illegal to even have it in your car :ugh:.

and some dude just got shot in the face here a year or so ago.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:hs:

you would think that point would come up after one of the office shootings or college shootings or the like. Just once I would like to see someone straight talk about this.

the legality of your car, I am a little blurry on, I've heard people say that while it isn't illegal the college can easily expel you for it. I know some people who leave it in their car. When I was a private university I know they would tell you they could not really search your car and now at a public university I haven't heard of cars being search. Still I wouldn't risk it, I actually park off campus.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

gun free zones are safe zones :slap:

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

it'd be REALLY sad if it was that campus where the dean didn't even want cops carrying guns. What would they do then?

7. Sarge21

stupid me :uh:

8. RMarks

RMarks New Member

At least 20 dead reported now :(

9. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

22 dead, 21 injured, apparently with a handgun, gunman is dead. apparently suspect is asian, I was thinking probably muslim guess im wrong.

10. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Prepare for the media frenzy regarding firearms. I was just watching fox news and hearing these guys talk about guns made me laugh. "This guy obviously had an automatic weapon, you can't do this type of thing with a revolver." "He had to have an ak47 or m16..which makes me think he had ties to the military since it is hard to get these weapons." The term clips was thrown around. And also talk about the Glock 17/19 and how 17rds can be fired in 6 seconds. "He could unload a clip and drop it and load up another one."

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah I saw that shit, maybe its time to stock up on some more mag's.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:(

Sadly I doubt anyone will see this as a wake up call.

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. god damn bastard. :mad:

14. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I was just watching the news and it said there was the initial shooting, and then one two hours later. :wtf: Where the hell were the police after the first one?

15. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I think they said something about not being able to find him.

This fucker better not have been legally able to own a firearm or we are screwed. We're probably still screwed anyway.

16. Gimik

Gimik New Member

fuck I am so mad.

17. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

You know they will use this against legal gun owners. No matter if he used a stolen 6 shot coyboy pistol or an m60 he stole from the military.

Can't say much for the police though, not being able to find him. And apparently after the first one they wanted to hold classes as normal and told student to "Be aware". wtf

18. Aequitas

I can just see the flood of lawsuits, and they deserve every single one of them.

19. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Be prepared for hr1022 to get alot more sponsors

20. Sarge21

fuck man, 22 dead.... that fucking blows goats. Welcome to the columbine of 2007.

Yeah im mad that this is gonna cause backlash with all the legal gun owners but i just cant imagine the families of these people. So fucking sad.

I wish there was someway to convince people that this could have been prevented if upstanding citizens were able to carry on university grounds.

21. Aequitas

Fucking :werd:. No one is going to give air time to the person saying, "Do you people finally see? Preventing legal guns from being on campus only creates unarmed victims. If someone is going to a campus with the intention of killing people, they aren't going to care that they are violating the law by bringing the tools that they plan on using."

22. Sarge21

that would totally come out of my mouth if I was a student there.

Situations like this run through my mind all the time. "What would i do if someone just started capping people here? Could i make it to my truck and arm myself? If i made it to my truck, would i even come back or just take the chance to get away? What are my chances of getting shot by the police if i do decide to go back in the building? Could i live with myself if i just left and other people needlessly died?" So many fucking questions that are totally unnecessary if we could just carry at University.

23. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

there saying 32 confirmed dead now

24. Sarge21

the more i think about this, i am now certain that im going to draft letters to my congressman, govenor, and university petitioning that my constitutional right be upheld on campus given the apparent and logically obvious inability for any law enforcement or law to prevent this sort of thing.

25. Sarge21

source? :wtc: