One or Two amp dilema...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by blykins, Apr 30, 2006.

1. blykins

blykins New Member

Zeti Reticula Star System in the Orion Constellati
    I want to upgrade my front speakers to a set of components. I also want to get 1 sub. Would it be best to run an amp for the components and another amp for the sub? Or should I run one amp for everytihng(i'mg uessing a 4 channel) and haev 2 channels for the components and combine the other 2 channels for the sub. Or would this be a too demanding load on the amp?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if it was me id go 2 amps

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i've done a few systems that way. i'd go with at least 400-500 watts on a 4ch amp and you'll be fine. one of the big things in car audio for something basic is KISS. keep it simple, son. 2 amps will have a better chance of introducing unwanted noise into the system, along with the fact that you'll have to spend more money or double the possibility of product failure. you will also get cleaner power from a class AB amp than you will a class D. 1 amp is the way to go IMO.

I would look for a 4ch amp that has an adjustable bass level/boost/control/knob/whatever you want to call it so that you will have better control over the sub. I know that PPI amps have this capability on the DCX series. I like the feature because it gives you just a lil more flexibility and control. say if you listened to country and the bass tones were a bit overpowering (which they can be) you could turn the level down a bit. and when you get ready to "snap yo fingers, do ya steeep" then you can crank Lil Jon up a bit.

just my thoughts on the matter.

4. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

a big three channel ftw... dls a5 would be a nice fit.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

6. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Old wive's tale, this isn't 5-10 years ago...

I'm with ilvwhtgrls, the DLS amp would be great. You could also look into the Kicker 3channel... it's hybrid with a 2channel A/B and a Class D in one chassis...

:)

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah ive heard lots of talk about how good class Ds are getting (what i've heard is mostly from the home audio front of things)

theres an article about them in one of my new mags, perhaps ill see if i can find it

8. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

DO IT!!! ;)...

I like the article I read in CA&E about 6months ago... it compared 5-6 amps with differing topologies. First, in straight specs... then a listening test.

Class A, A/B, D, G, H, and Tube Amps I do believe... was a great read.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My understanding was that A/B is certainly a better choice for mains, but for a sub, you can't tell a difference, and it's hard to argue with less current draw for the same output, and less heat to boot.

10. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

:bigthumb: hybrid technology ftw... the DLS happens to be an AB for the front and subs... :run:

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

http://www.caraudiomag.com/specialfeatures/0111cae_anatomy/index.html
    scroll down near the bottom. Read about Class D amplifiers. I'm not seeing the old wives tale about Class D being as clean as AB. Also, are you referring that more components in a system don't increase the chances of introducing more noise into a system? If you are, then you have just proven to me the level of knowledge you actually have in the car audio arena. I will leave my comments at this until I see some response, then we can go from there.

I thought about ignoring this post, but I just really couldn't get over the fact that a member here could be getting poor information. So I had to follow up on it.

As far as the Kicker (3 ch) amp goes, it is a strong piece, 75x2 and 400x1 in one chassis, but I think for the money you may spend on this amp, you can get a high quality, more powerful 4 ch that would yield better results.

12. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

How long did it take you to reply? You had to scour the entire internet until you found something SOMEBODY ELSE wrote to try to validify your claim.

As far as class D is concerned, I'm not talking about using one for full-range. I personally will only use a class D for my substage, the new full-range Class-D's just still haven't progressed enough to be on par with comparable Class A/B's. But simply put, you WILL NOT notice a difference on a subwoofer b/w two different topologies of amps, will ALL other variables being the same. If you can tell the difference in a Blind-folded A/B comparison... Richard Clark has $10,000 for you.

As far as the noise in the system concern, sure... let's see having TWO amps instead of ONE amp might increase the SNOW BALL'S CHANCE IN HELL possibility that you might induce noise into your system by what.... about a Cunt hair? This mentality would be like not going to the bathroom in a public restroom... b/c you could get germies on your butt :noes:...

The benefits of completely satisfying one's power needs by using multiple amplifiers, simply out weighs the EXTREMELY MINUTE chance that it MIGHT (if Hell Freezes over) induce noise into the system. (Which also brings me to proper installation, if you install properly... this should NEVER be an issue). Also, yet another point... I guess all the SQ GrandMaster Champions suck as life b/c they take the chance with noise in their UBER SQ system by using... OMGOMGOMGOMG Two amps... :rolleyes:.

So, if you're so swayd by what-ifs... and believe in these little idiosyncrasies... I believe Tom Cruise has the perfect religion for you.

:wiggle: :sadwavey:

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

aaaand that's about what i figured. Maybe you didn't read the post very well.
    so now that we have revisited what I said, on to your other re-gurgitations.

As far as referring to a magazine article, in English 1020, we learned that you use support for the arguement. therefore, you have my support for my arguement.

so you don't think that one could notice the difference in the "switching" of an amplifier? The article clearly states:
    The author also goes on to state:
    So, while there are components in place to reduce distortion, it is not completely removed.

Now, on to the chance of noise from 2 amps. Yes, the chance is pretty slim that anything will come of it. I run 2 amps in my truck. I don't have noise. However, since the threadstarter asked if it was ok to run comps and a sub off of one amp,
    I offered my opinion on the matter. I explained the reasons why I felt that one 4 ch amp would be better along with giving features that I would look for and why. I also gave brand recommendations.

AAAAANNND, being the sq grand wizard that you seem to be, it would only seem natural that you would agree that simpler is better. But, since you insist on trying to claim that installation won't have any effect on noise entering system, and attempting to disprove me about class D amps, then you have further established your lack of knowledge about car audio. This is typical of all of your posts I have read so far. You attempt to be an elitist, yet you're not even a novice.

That is just ab-fucking-surd. don't be the total e-idiot that you come across as, and don't whine about taking a shit in public either.

14. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

You just did absolutely nothing.

Regurgitations? You been reading my posts about Ronin too much or what?

I'm talking about AUDIBLE difference you numb skull. Not this graphical, electronic analyzations... REAL WORLD audbile differences.

AS I STATED...
    So, please sir, go collect your $10,000 prize.

-I never condemned your opinion, I just offered my own as well.

-Never stated I was an SQ Grand Master Champion, and I never will be. Just simply stating more REAL WORLD evidence... you know the AUDIBLE stuff... you just live by papers obviously.

-Of course installation has a HUGE difference on the possibility of noise being induced into a system. Can your READ?

So, you seem to be the ONLY person to be regurgitating information in this entire thread... please... let's hear some REAL LIFE evidence... some EXPERIENCE. Not just online e-smarts from google.

I'm done with you. I've met MANY of you through out my life, living by paper. In fact a few years ago, I almost got caught up in living by stuff on paper.

I know perfectly well how 12v electronics work, as it is my major.

So, back to the topic.

One of my top choices in a one amplifier system would be a DLS A7 or a Memphis MC1600d (Belle)...

:)

15. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

God, i wanted to use an a7 as part of my system, but i just dont have the space for a 22in amp... :wtc: the sad thing is, i get dls at cost too. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

16. denim

denim New Member

Kicker 550.3 FTW