One Arm Failing

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Thoth, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thoth

Thoth OT Supporter

I have a problem while dumbell pressing. i almost set a PR on wednesday, lifting a new weight for any reps (FYI using 30kg/66pound dumbells). i bounced the weights into my starting position and steadied, then dropped and pressed. left arm put the weight up fine, right arm stopped at 75% of the way up and i failed after about 10 seconds in the position (no spotter).

im left handed btw. anyone else have/had this problem of strength inbalance between their dominant side?

what can i do to correct it. 1 handed presses or more barbell work?

2. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

From what I've read/been told, working one arm exclusively will not provide as much of a benefit as working both.
    If you want to do flys like normal but maybe superset them with concentrated flys solely with your weak arm, that may be helpful?

Paging timber.

3. Thoth

Thoth OT Supporter

flys huh? ive never had a failing problem with flys (ie both sides always complete the full reps) but i will give that a try on my next chest day

4. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

continue with the dumbells, drop the weight a bit to the point where you can complete a few reps with both hands. You'll even out over time. Barbell work is not as helpful because your stronger side can compensate for the weaker side and still move the weight.

5. Thoth

Thoth OT Supporter

so should i drop to 27.5kg'ers (the next one down) and stay with that until its too easy before i move up again?

thanks on the barbell advice, im not a big fan of barbell pressing, i prefer all forms of DB pressing over any BB exercise but i mix it in occasionally, usually on a smith machine.\

Off to bed, will check any more replys in the morning, thanks in advance

6. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

I meant just as a way to concentrate on one side.
    Flys are for me the most concentrated on the chest when I do them slow/controlled so I assume that would be the quickest way (for me anyway) to bring one side up.

7. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

well you just said you can't even do a single rep with the higher weight, so you have no choice but to move down. Don't stay with it until it's easy though, your short term goal should always be to be able to move up to the next higher weight.

and i definitely don't think you should ignore barbell (and not on the smith machine either), i'm just saying that db's force each arm to lift exactly the same amount of weight so they are generally better for working out an imbalance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.