Once you go mac, you never go back?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

(putting this here to get some biased opinions)

After missing out on the Hp deal at Best Buy decided I might as well make the plunge on a laptop.

Now I don't do any gaming, hardcore graphics design, or video editing so I don't need anything too powerful. It will be mainly used for buisness, school, and personal studies.

I already have two desktop PCs so I was thinking about getting a Apple ibook g4 off ebay. My other choice is to get another PC, probably another dell. A friend as a G5 and I absolutly love it. Layout, looks, performance, etc.

Should I go with the mac or pc? Price is a factor and I want to keep it under 800.

2. m52

m52 I can't believe I ate the whole thing

i went mac, with a mac mini first, about a year ago, and just bought a 24" imac 2 or so weeks ago, and i can honestly say, i dont miss the windows experience.

3. ady

ady New Member

Go with a mac, try a new computing experience. You can get this for $800 as a refurb directly from Apple:

Refurbished iBook 12-inch 1.33GHz Combo Drive
    512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
    40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (32MB DDR video memory)
    Built-in AirPort Extreme
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Scrolling Trackpad
    Sudden Motion Sensor

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

you realize for like an extra $100 or so, you can get a c2d macbook from apple?
    or a refurbed core dual from apple?

5. ady

ady New Member

I do. He said money was an issue and $800 was his budget.

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, but paying $800 for a computer that's the cpu is 4 generations old at this point is throwing away money...which doesn't help the money issue...

if he's that tight, get a bottom of the line mac mini intel core duo for $600...
    if he wants a laptop, at least get an intel one for $100 more than the budget

there is no reason to be buying a G4 ot a G5 at this point...

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Why?

I still have a old Dell Dimension 4400 with 1.7 ghz processor and 256mb of ram and I can stream big videos fine without being choppy while having multiple FF browers open, surfing OT, while playing videos in my media player with other programs running.

I would go with a new apple and do financing but I'd have to get a juniper card.

9. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

10. poweraid

poweraid OT Supporter

refurbed macbook core duo

11. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

12. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

True... although, you have to go back if your computer at work is Windows... :hs:

13. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

Honestly! I really would love for you to try apple, but if you can't strech the price limit, i would never try to convice you to get a g4 processor now. I have a g4 processor and it's fine for what i do, but it is history now. In a year or two(max) apple will drop support like none other, and it's just not the smartest move to make. As said i am to say this, but if you can't find a intel apple to buy in your price range, it really isn't worth it imo to drop $800 on old technology! =)

14. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

This man speaks the cold, hard truth, folks.

15. mrchina

mrchina Guest

I had a Powerbook G4 and I sold it and built a Core2Duo machine. I was sick of the lack of solid games for Mac and really that's it. I don't understand why the fuck everyone bitches about spyware on PC's and Viruses. I never get any viruses and spyware isn't an issue for me... but I also know what I'm doing. Further, if I had to do it again, I think I would bypass the mac experience all together just because of the costs associated with Macing it up/

16. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

basically it's like say..."hey, i'll get that 95 honda civic because it'll save me $500 instead of getting a 2005"

sure both civic's will get you from point A to point B, but there have been so many new things in the 2005 compared to the 1995 it's a waste to save that extra little bit of cash.

besides, getting a G4 sure will show you what a mac can do, but you'll be kicking yourself in 6 months time when you could've got a Core Duo instead for $100 more if you want a laptop. Seriously man, I have a G4 ibook, at work a got a Quad G5, and my dad has a MBP...trust me when i say this, the G4 is outdated...you'll hate the first time experience if you jump into a G4 expecting the heavens to open and your eyes to be opened...if anything, you'll get a bad experience and curse the mac because you did it the wrong way.

if you're wanting to get a laptop, get an intel, if you can't afford it, then wait till you can...if you're going to be dropping that kind of money, do it right

17. robwormald

robwormald New Member

you can get a refurb core duo macbook for 899 on the applestore online. its worth the extra cash, seriously.

18. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: don't buy an architecture that apple has already said will lose support down the line.

edit: AND if you decide that OS X isn't for you, you can't run windows on the G4 iBook, where you would still have a core duo machine to run other x86 stuff on with a Macbook.

19. ady

ady New Member

While I do agree the OP should look at an intel based system, it isn't time to write off power pc based systems just yet. Apple have sold 4 million Macs from when they went intel until mid october with 75% of them being intel in their third quarter (april-july). So out of the 20 million plus machines sold with OS X only 3 million are intel based so far (and what has been sold in the past month). People were still buying new power pc machines from Apple in august, so they will at least be supporting them until almost 2010. Refurbs are being sold still with optional 3 year support. While some software companies may not bother with universal binarys in a few years, most will support both, including Apple.

There are reasons to go for a power pc, cost of course being a good one, currently the issue of resetta for some top level pieces of software s causing people to still buy power pc machines. If you want a 12" notebook, like the threadstarter may as that is what he has linked to twice then currently older macs are your only option. If you are buying a machine that you know you will only use for basic non-intensive applications a power pc mac will easily be fine for 3 years or so. Probably more.

20. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, my Quad G5 is quite good, but i hate to disagree and all, but it's pretty much time to write off a G4. that's way to many generations ago. Also, those people getting PPC chips in the last couple quarters, those were probably G5 Power Macs, not imacs, not mac mini's, not laptops. Power Macs because they only came in PPC form.

21. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

this thread has inspired me to list my iBook on eBay. i've had it less than a year, so warranty is still there, and they are fetching around $600 right now...i'd take that and it puts towards some kind of refurbished unit, not sure yet. thanks for the idea :)

22. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Well guys, I was planning on pulling the trigger on a new macbook but I picked up an emachine that is around 800 at wal-mart for 350 after taxes. I think it's a pretty damn good price. It will hold me over untill I really really want an apple.

I still think I might get a mini. Any thing I should note about those?

23. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

Even though the situation has been resolved i'm gonna chime in.

I currently own a 14" iBook G4 and absolutely love it. I find that my 1.2 ghz G4 is faster then most Core Duo Macbooks i use. I account this to most the programs i'm using on the macbooks run under rosetta so even the mid-generation g4 runs faster. If you were going to take the plunge i'd say going for a 1.2 ghz or better ibook would be a great option.

As for when you do take the plunge after the emachine dies, which i'll give it about 5 months, the mac mini would be an outstanding option. if you don't want to be bound to the desk, look for a refurb macbook. The main thing you'll want to remember though is 512 mb isn't much. put in something that will make it more then 1 gb and you'll be flying.