SRS Once an addict, always an addict

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dobis P.R., Jun 20, 2007.

1. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

What mechanism causes this phenomenon? After abstaining from drugs for a certain period of your time your body chemistry normalizes; you will lose your tolerance and not experience any more withdrawal effects. So what accounts for a person to lose the ability to moderate after becoming a drug addict? Is it merely memory?

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

It is actually a disease, it cannot be unlearned.

At least one genetic test[5] exists for an allele that is correlated to alcoholism and opiate addiction. Human dopamine receptor genes have a detectable variation referred to as the DRD2 TaqI polymorphism. Those who possess the A1 allele (variation) of this polymorphism have a small but significant tendency towards addiction to opiates and endorphin releasing drugs like alcohol.[6] Although this allele is slightly more common in alcoholics and opiate addicts, it is not by itself an adequate predictor of alcoholism.

Some writers posit that alcohol was discovered to be a replacement for polluted drinking water in early urban societies. In these conditions, alcohol's antibacterial properties offset its health risk, and the slow death of cirrhosis of the liver was preferred to an early death from waterborne disease. This caused a selection pressure on the genes of humans who had abandoned the hunter-gatherer lifestyle towards people with genes which were not prone to over consumption and drunkenness. Over generations, the descendants of these first farmers and urban dwellers became dominated by individuals who could drink more beer more often. This theory explains why some groups who continued a predominately hunter-gatherer culture, such as Native Americans or Australian Aborigines, have such high rates of alcoholism today [7].

same above applies for addiction to anything. Also, if you got addicted before, why would you think that you wouldnt again?

Addiction works in three circles: psychological, social, and physical. You can essentially cure the first 2 through 12 step programs, etc. The physical? No known cure yet.

3. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

thats some interesting stuff. good read

4. faulkton

faulkton New Member

5. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

You should read the book, Diseasing of America by Stanton Peele.I feel that his work and his books have helped me out a lot.

6. faulkton

faulkton New Member

I believe that the link i posted is the third chapter from the book Diseasing of America ;)