SRS "once an addict, always an addict"

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KDubb, Aug 7, 2004.

1. KDubb

KDubb everyday I'm hustlin'

what are your feeling regarding this statement ?

2. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

true in a way, a lie in another.

True in the sense that no true addict ever really gets "cured" and can resume normal moderation of drugs/alcohol/addictive outlet.

The lie is that we DO recover. Through certain principles, we can enjoy our lives again without using drugs and don't need to die addicts.

3. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

more or less, i'll agree...

however, even if we do recover, the addict inside us is still always there. Meaning if we slip up, we're back in our addiction quicker than a vegas whore gets a cock on $2 blow night...

so i feel its truth and truth...

if there were a cure for addiction, then I'd say yeah, the last half is false...
    but there isn't...

hell if its not a drug, there is always something else out there, be it pepsi, food, cigarettes, etc.

4. Jesse James

Jesse James Guest

VERY well said.

5. Jackanapes

Jackanapes turbodirectinjection OT Supporter

"once an addict, always an addict"

I like what has been said sofar. The statement implies something most of the time. That there is no hope or that one will never be anything more than an addict.

Today I am an addict and I know it. The disease is waiting for me. My addictive nature is like entropy. I will slide back into it if not for recovery related action.

So I feel the lovely paradox that I am not practicing my addiction but will always be an addict.

6. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

thank you.

yea it depends on what side of the coin you're looking at...

many a convention uses the "the lie is dead. we do recover" cliche as a slogan or a unity phrase or whatever. i see it on NA t-shirts all the time.

7. Joseph Scumsworth

Joseph Scumsworth OT Supporter

BAM! The truth is strong in Nuke's post.

8. Phish Esq.

Phish Esq. New Member

In a nutshell. I feel it is true

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Hell no, this shows how little you and society really know about drug addiction and alcoholism. It is an incurable disease which is mental, emotional and spiritual in nature. It can however be arrested at some point, and recovery is then possible. There is a pill out for alcoholism, I heard it was on the news, and you will see that millions who attend 12-step meetings, (me included) are right, the pill is simply another drug, another fix, it won't work. Besides, there is something even more valuable behind the 12-steps ... a spiritual awakening, a chance to be of service to others, a new way of the life, the possibilities are endless. It has given my life meaning, that a freakin pill can't. That's why I walked in the doors of NA, because pills didn't give my life meaning or joy anymore, I was dead to the world. Total abstinance is better than perfect moderation. The scientists are wasting their time, there already is a wonderful cure known as the twelve-steps. Those who are given the chance, and are willing to recover, do ... it works if you work it. For me and plenty of addicts like me, there is only one thing that can fill the void drugs no longer fill .... a spiritual life of service. There is no way spirituality can be taken in pill form.

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Alright, hail to the 12 step program :slap: <- me

11. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

I think the statement "The lie is dead. Once an addict, always an addict. We do recover." came from how the general public viewed addicts. If you read some of the old literature and some of the older stories and listen to the old timers in NA, you realize that when NA first started in California, there were laws that stated no addicts could congregate in groups, so although the experience of AA was more in the nature of tsk tsk, you drink too much, and you guys need to haul yourselves out of the gutter, the experience of the addicts, was you are bad bad evil people and you don't belong in the world, so AA was an anonymous organization at first, and NA was more an underground organization, because it was unlawful to have addicts meet at all, you could get arrested if you got caught at a meeting together. I don't think that happened to the alcoholics.

Everyone also said good stuff about how they feel about "once an addict, always an addict". I think for me I'll always be an addict, that is my personality, more is always better, and my compulsive obsessive thinking is what always gets me in trouble whether there are drugs involved or not. As in my best thinking got me to 12-step programs. I think I'd rather be an addict in recovery, learning how to live life on life's terms than to be an addict without recovery, or an addict in denial. With recovery I have a good life and lots of friends, with no recovery I have no friends, no job, no house, no family and want to die.

12. ElDude

ElDude Hiya!

I think that's what it's all about for a lot of people. Sometimes it is enough to bring them back from the brink. Sometimes it's unfortunately not enough, when people dwell in self pity for various reasons.

A family freind was an alchoholic and ended up commiting suicide through shame and the saddest part is his wife became an addict and also, so did her sister. Her sister died from liver failure through alchohol abuse and she is an alchoholic now. She has times where she falls off the wagon so to speak, and when she gets bad she gets help. It's a terrible sight to see, and if not for her friends I think she might not be with us now. She feels responsible for her deceased husband and sister (she tells us) for not doing enough, which is ironic as she is showing that sometimes there is only so much you can do.

So, to the thread title. I think the people that say those words in hate/spite or just general ill feeling don't have the intellect to stop and think about what they are saying, and what damage the words could cause. To me I would add "once and addict(ive personality) always an addict(ive personality)". Just because you might have had a problem once, it doesn't mean that your personality will cause your physical side harm again. If you have the will power to stop yourself, then you're halfway there. Hell, you're all the way there if you can stop yourself.

13. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

It's really not about will power, you are powerless over your addiction. If you've had a problem once, you will never be able to moderate or "just have a few drinks," those days are done. However, this statement was used against addicts by those who do not understand addiction or believe in 12-step programs. The myth has been smashed, we do recover, but we must maintain total abstinence in order to do so.

14. Faith

Faith Guest

I've worked with a lot of different people addicted to different drugs, and I don't think there is a straight forward answer to this...

In my experiences...
    Some people come of Heroin or Coke, and they don't go back on it. To me, they are no longer an 'addict'. They may now be clean, but I don't think they can ever be as clean as someone that has never taken drugs. To me though, this statement doesn't apply to them.

But...I've seen people relapse after being clean for 10 years. All it takes is giving in to that drug once, and the viscious circle starts over again. An addict needs taking out of that environment, and being given something else to do with their time, to break that chain. Sometimes this has great results, sometimes it doesn't. It works for some, but not all.

On the other hand, there are those people who can't get off drugs at all. The statement applies to them without a doubt. You've heard that phrase 'an addictive personality'...

I don't think you can tarnish all addicts with the same brush. Some want to get clean, and with the right help, they will, and they will stay clean. Others, well, they don't want to.

Faith

15. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

All addicts with the capacity to be honest can get clean through the 12 steps of Narcotics Anonymous.

16. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

right on target eligh! -

17. Taegun

Taegun Guest

It's true in that once you have been addicted to something it's just that much easier once you start again to slip rght back into the old ways. If you get off drinking but then slip up, it'll get you much easier than if you'd never been an alchoholic.

It's been talked about before that addiction can run in families - people with parents who have weaknesses for drink or drugs tend to be weaker in regards to the same stuff. Whether that's because they grow up around the stuff or because they're naturally predisposed to be addicts is unclear. Babies can be born crack addicts after all, so can parents who smoke pass on the 'weakness' when it comes to choosing to give up to their children?

18. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

in my opinion, people place way too much emphasis on the inherited or genetic aspect of addiction and alcoholism. Sure, growing up with other addicts/alcoholics can have a big impact but i think too many people concern themselves with the particular physical nature of addiction, when its really not all that important. neither of my parents seem like addicts or alcoholics, yet here i am

19. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Very true because addiction is a spiritual disease.