onboard NIC problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

So I come home after the weekend to find my machine has no internet connection. First thought was the router needed to be reset so I did that, still nothing. Windows says there is no cable plugged in even though the router shows a link. I tryed repairing, reinstalling drivers, nothing will work. I'm running vista but it was working fine and has been for several months. The only think I can think of is that we had some storms this weekend, is it possible a surge came through the line? My computer is on a surge strip but the router and modem are not. Card is Intel pro 100/VE. Any ideas? Right now im running a cheap pci card from wally world and it couldn't hold a steady stream if its life depended on it.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Most likely, any surge that could kill your NIC through the modem and router would have killed them first. Did you try a different cable? I've seen cables where a tiny bit of plastic jet stuck on the contact for pin 1 and keeps it from making contact. Also, look inside the jack and make sure all the wires and lined up properly and there's nothing stuck to them.

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Do you have another PC you can connect to the same connection? That would show whether it was the PC or the connection that was failing.

4. Kieffer87

I hooked up the same cable to my laptop and it works flawlessly. I'm also using the same cable for the new nic card. Maybe one of the pins isnt lining up inside the onboard NIC. I did notice that when I plug in the cable the green link light comes on and then the activity blinks a few times but then stays off but it still thinks it has a link. I'm almost wondering if it isn't something on the OS side. but I don't know what else I can try. Ive uninstalled drivers disabled and reenabled the device.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've seen that before. Of the 8 pins, two are transmit, and two are receive. If one of them doesn't make contact, it'll act weird like that.

6. Kieffer87

All the pins are aligned correctly and even, so im sure they are making contact. I don't know what else it could be.