on the market for my first bike

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NisAznMonk, Jun 25, 2004.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Well I've only been on dirtbikes, so I hope the experience will help me a bit here. I just want a bike to ride comfortably around town, not to speed in and out of Houston traffic. I've been thinking of a cruiser, just because they seem to look more comfortable than a sport bike. Anyone have experience on both kinds? What should I look for when choosing a bike? I'll be signing up for the riding classes soon after my summer school class ends.

2. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

For a nice starter cruiser I'd say avoid the 250cc bikes and go with any of the bikes with the next larger engines. You want something that can get out of its own way on the highway.

Look through the cruisers on the manufacturer's websites and remember that a lightweight cruiser is best for beginners. You don't want some 900lb Honda Rune... Cruisers make for good comfortable rides for new riders. They don't have the speed of sports bikes but you shouldn't be concerned with that when you are a new rider anyways. They have an upright sitting position, low seat heights and if you stick with the entry level (500 to 700cc) bikes they are fairly light (330-450lbs).

I have a suzuki savage 650 and used to have a kawasaki vulcan 500. The vulcan was a bit more comfortable and a bit faster but the savage is much lighter.

3. fyp619

fyp619 New Member

honda rebel

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I found a 85 Honda rebel on Ebay for less than $1000. from the description it looks like its been taken care of. What do you all think?

5. MrBlonde

MrBlonde OT Supporter

My dad has a magna and love it...the V4 is a great engine. I looked at Vstars before I bought my marauder and decided they where a little underpowered and too wide/spread out for me (but i'm 5'5"). Honda makes very nice bikes but like was mentioned the four speed tranny will really kill ya when you feel the need to shift up.

6. datboijohnny

datboijohnny Member