"On the fly" defragmenters

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Runescaper, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

Are the defragmenting programs that defragment files AS they become fragmented bad for your hard drive in any way? It just seems to me like the writing to your hard drive would be almost doubled because these programs would constantly be moving things around.

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

For windows? Dunno.

For other platforms, there are many dependencies. Basically when the file system is under a certain threshold, low i/o, low queue depths, low throughput, etc, which are all tunable.

3. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

You'd be better off just scheduling a defrag using a command line defragmenter. You don't want a defrag program trying to move a large file while another program is trying to access it, etc. It will slow everything down.

4. dk01

dk01 Awwwwww..... OT Supporter

O&O degrag is a good one that I've used before.

5. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

:werd:

It's wicked awesome.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't bother with realtime defragmenters. Personally, I've never seen one that I like, because I never know when they're going to start eating my CPU power without warning. Most hard drives don't fragment very quickly; the problem is that most people don't ever defragment them, so they get really gnarly after a while. Just defrag once a month if you're a normal user, or once a week if you download and/or process lots of files.