ON Protein: Egg vs Soy

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I suspect my ON whey is giving me trouble. Time to try something new.
    I tried some hippie vegan rice protein that tasted like total ass. Never again.

Looking to pick up either ON egg protein or ON soy, in chocolate flavors.

I did the research and it seems each has its benefit. Both are 100% complete proteins.
    I know soy has garnered a bad name in years' past but recent studies indicate all that stuff about increasing estrogen and such is bs. Soy protein is very good for your heart, low in cholesterol and helps prevent prostate/breast cancers.

Egg protein doesn't have the bad name soy once had, and contains everything I need.

I guess it really comes down to what tastes better. I've been consuming ON whey for a good time now and I love the taste. Anyone know if the egg and soy tastes as good or nearly as good?

Thanks

2. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I was thinking about just emailing ON and telling them what's up and asking for a couple samples to see for myself... but that may take weeks before it gets here.

3. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

4. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Or try some of hernon's LBA's or trueprotein's beef isolate

5. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Egg protein has a far better amino acid profile. I know we all hate on soy products, but it really isn't bad for you. If you're using 1-2 scoops a day, you will probably never notice a difference from whatever phytoestrogens are there. My real issue is with vegetarians/vegans who use it as their primary protein source. Consuming that much will absolutely have an effect in my opinion.

6. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

And I'm gonna continue to jack this thread and say that it's probably a good idea for 90% of the population on here to switch up their protein powder every couple of months or so. You'd be surprised how our bodies begin to develop intolerance to things we feed it every day.

7. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

i would get both and mix them together or go to true protein and make a custom mix

8. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

soy is bad

9. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

See above.

Another point to note is that when you use a plant based protein, they may be labeled as a "complete" protein, but they are deficient in branched chain amino acids. Try to find a formula that is fortified with extra BCAA's or you could always add your own to the powder.

10. drickz

drickz chunkin the deuce

the egg protein will make your farts smell like hell.

11. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

hemp protein?

12. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

I did soy protein for 3-4 weeks in Jan, and now back on whey.

13. knucks

knucks Active Member

i buy whatever is cheap.

got "higher power" cookies and cream for $45 for 15lbs. suck it.

14. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Fuck soy.

Everyone likes to say the estrogen thing is overplayed, but they also forget to mention that the anti-cholesterol/heart stuff has also been pretty well debunked. The popular studies on soy didn't account for the fact that when you're eating soy protein your not consuming chili dogs and donuts. It really doesn't have anything particularly beneficial other than the fact that it's protein.

The reason it may have an effect on the prostate is because it does have an effect on your hormones.

If you're having problems with ON, whatever those are, it could be artificial sweetener related rather than whey related. It could be the milk you are mixing it with, all kinds of shit. Try some other whey, muscle milk naturals, solid food, etc. before going to soy.

15. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

16. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

From what I found in my brief 45min of research last night, soy is not as bad as it's made out to be. It also has larger quantities of arginine and glutamine.

Either way though, I just need something to try. What do you guys recommend overall if using 2 scoops a day.... Soy or egg?

18. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Did you not like the soy?

19. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

Would do a scoop of each but I'm not an expert.

20. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I'm not sure what it is.

Whenever I take my whey now I just start to feel "crappy". I'll get indigestion for a couple hours, have a bit of malaise, and get shortness of breath. I was tested for a dairy allergy and it came up as a "slight" allergy. So nothing too bad. Drinking milk is out of the question though.
    I mean, I eat cheese and stuff on pizza with the only effect being some gas. But maybe the concentration that goes into making whey is causing a heightened effect.

It could be all the artificial sweetener in it, but I use splenda in my coffee and it doesn't bother me.

There are 2 things in my diet potentially causing problems, allergy-wise. Whey and peanut butter. I've tried to narrow down which one, but it's kinda hard.
    Either way, I've been using whey for a while, and I have a slight allergy to it so I figure it's best to just switch it up to soy or egg protein anyway.

21. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

That's what I was thinking, just pick up a 2lb'er of each and switch it up between the two.
    I'm a little worried about taste, but I can't imagine it tasting much different than ON whey. It's all chocolate flavors.

22. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I gave up whey protein and peanut butter for a while to test it all out. After 2 days my acne cleared up a bit, my asthma was better, less irritability and anxiety, I had less intestinal and heartburn issues, and energy was up.

I've tried giving them up one at a time with no conclusive results. Thinking it might be both since I have a mild peanut allergy too according to my allergy test (mild meaning, symptoms are mild).

I figure switching from whey to soy or egg can't hurt me and it will make the process of finding out if PB is a culprit much easier. I'm hoping not since I love PB. If I drop the PB and are on soy/egg and still have problems then I'll know it wasn't the whey itself, but the ingredients that ON adds to the whey.

23. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

How much protein powder are you using anyway? It's worth a shot. Try a few and try them out. There would be nothing wrong with mixing soy and egg protein. But again, I'd probably add some BCAA's in.

24. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

It depends. On normal days it's usually just 2 scoops PWO. On days when I am super busy with school I'll have to resort to 4 scoops a day. I have not been doing this lately though since the whey makes me feel like ass.

I was thinking about getting egg and soy and just switching it up every couple of days.
    I would buy ON and I believe they fortify their proteins with BCAA's if I'm not mistaken.

25. Thomas Crenshaw

Thomas Crenshaw New Member

It's giving you intestinal trouble?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.