On hold with applecare right now...macbook won't stay on

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 3x, Mar 19, 2007.

1. 3x

3x New Member

so i woke up htis morning to do some homeworkk so i turned on my blackbook. i got it when it first came out so its not the newer one. i push the power button and log on w/ my password, then leave to use the restroom. i come back and my macbook is off...i thought that was weird but i just turned it back on. after i log back in, i try to open ichat and the computer just shuts down. i press the power button again, it turns on and makes that noise that it does when it turns on, then immediately shuts off. it keeps doing this.

i try to take out the battery and run it directly from the charger but it does the same thing. sometimes if i leave it alone, it'll stay on for a minute but it'll just shut off again. applecare is taking a really long time and i've been on hold for 15 minutes.

well, i've just gotten off the phone with a technician...tried to reset the pRAM or something. didn't workk out...so now i'm walking to the apple store on campus to send it in for repair. hooray, right during midterms.

2. 3x

3x New Member

Turns out one of the fans cooling the hard drive failed so it keeps shutting down due to heating issues. Meh, I guess I have to send it in now.

3. KuntryFresh

KuntryFresh Midwest

i had that happen with my old HP laptop.

did u leave it on all the time?

4. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

the macbook has only one fan & it cools the Processor/graphics chip.

5. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

I had one do that....thought it was the processor getting too hot, then mobo....it ended up being bad RAM.

6. 3x

3x New Member

:eek3:

7. 3x

3x New Member

I leave it on for 12 hours at a time, or 24 hours at a time, rarely over two days. It gets a good 10 hours off-period at least three times a week.

But yeah...I might change out the ram and see what happens.

Should I just upgrade to 2GB or send it in and keep my 1GB?