Omniweb? good?bad?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by beaker, Mar 15, 2005.

1. beaker

beaker New Member

Choices on Browsers?

i used to use safari but decided to change since i didn't like the way it handled tabbed browsing.

im trying out omniweb now. anyone have any opinions on it?

i heard firefox eats ram so i went against that.................

any opinions?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. Nick X

Nick X Guest

Omniweb is awesome, but I've heard it is running on an outdated engine so not too many people have high opinions of it.

3. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Firefox > * .

4. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

Try out the optimized forefox builds. I have a G4 PB, so I'm using

http://homepage.mac.com/krmathis/

If you're running a G5, I know they're having a few issues with those builds, but they are out there. Google it. Mine runs fucking fast.

5. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

I need to try one of those loads. Right now I'm just running the mozilla.com OS X load.

6. beaker

beaker New Member

im running a G4 400mhz with 256 ram.

should i use the older one?

stupid question.......

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, no.

opera > ie > firefox.

8. falconbrad

How anyone can possibly say IE is better than any other browser on the market confuses the shit out of me...

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, IE is not good, but it's not crap... FireFox is simply crap... Therefore IE > Firefox. Proof.

10. falconbrad

I'm very interested to hear why you think firefox is crap. I'm not so much defending firefox (cause I have issues with it to) as I'm just amazed that you don't think IE is total crap. I'm totally open to hearing you out, but your previous post isn't proof of anything either way...

11. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

im a big fan of safari personally. never had any problems with it, and it is very fast when i browse.

12. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

I would like to hear this too. Why is FireFox crap?

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first of all, if you use a popup blocker (sp2, for example) and keep your box up2date with the recent patches, then there are no security issues with IE. Simply use proper discresion when visiting websites. As for FireFox, it is bloated and slow. Not to mention that many sites do not work properly in it. Overall, FireFox was an interesting concept when first conceived, but has since proven to be a miserable failure, becoming everything it's developers vowed to guard against. Overall, I rate firefox to be MUCH slower than IE, and no more secure. Together with page view errors, FireFox proves only one thing -- it cannot be better than IE. Opera, on the other hand, has proven to be lightweight and agile. Page renderings are not as foolproof as IE, but it does not come with the overhead that FireFox does, and rendering is certainly faster in most instances.

Overall, Opera == teh win. Firefox == teh lose. IE == baseline.

14. falconbrad

I'm not sure if you're running on a Mac or what (or what the last version of FF you ran was), but my experience on both a Mac and PC has been (1) that IE is slow, but not the slowest browser. I do think FF runs faster on my Mac than any other option (and I'm not sure what you mean by faster... scrolling? page rendering time? my optimized FF build takes under a second to load most pages). Much of the rendering issues you see in ANY browser besides IE are due to the fact that IE sucks at adhering to web standards. But since it is the most prevalent browser out there, web designers build their sites to IE specifications instead of building them to established web specifications, and that affects every other browser. As for security, I agree that the XP SP2 boxes are much more secure in general, and particularly as far as IE is concerned, than previous versions. However, the fact remains that IE is a far more vulnerable browser than FF, if for no other reason than, again, it is the most-used browser out there... and therefore the aim of most hacks.

But that's just responding to what you said. The reason I never use IE is that, even with the latest patches, it still manages to get fucked up and eventually end up dumping something I do not want on my system. That and the fact that I have found that IE is not the fastest browser. And I don't like MS much, but then I figure you already know that, seeing as I use a Mac. But I fear IE more than I dislike it... it has shown itself to be a poorly designed piece of software, and thought of patching it to make it secure remind me of plugging the holes in a leaky boat with bubble gum... I wouldn't sail anywhere in that thing. I don't go anywhere in IE.

That being said, I have also long ago learned that people will do what they do. I feel secure in what I use for my own reasons and other people use other things for a bunch of different reasons... That's also the reason I swore off fixing anyone's computer other than those of my closest friends. Tired of people asking me to fix something and then arguing with me when I tell them not to do something... Whatever. Anyway, glad IE works for you. I'll stick with FF and Safari for some stuff. Thanks for replying.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you obviously do not read my posts.... I clearly use Opera.

16. falconbrad

Yeah, the Opera > IE > FF thing was a giveaway. I got that... I'm not sure what about my post led you to believe otherwise. Other than I should have said I agree with your assessment of Opera.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the "glad IE works for you" is why I mention it. I simply say that Opera is far superior to both, but limited to the scope of IE or FF, IE is the lesser of two evils.

18. beaker

beaker New Member

as for my first post im thinking of going back to safari. it jsut works better then omniweb. i found it slow.

one question. can i get a patch for safari that has a spell check built into it so it comes up when i spell shit wrong?