omg trainers

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by solid snake, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solid snake

solid snake New Member

I know alot of you in here have a hate-on for personal trainers, but my gf I got a few free sessions with a 24 hr fitness trainer when I bought our memberships. Are they really that worthless? I'm hardly elite, so I can probably get something from these people. I think I just need some help with my form on some lifts. And if it's crap I think all I lost was a bit of time.
    What criterion should I use to choose a trainer? They all look pretty similar on paper - studying for kineseology or something, with a few 24 hr fitness certs on the side. Just pick the swollest dude or what?

2. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

it really depends on the person, degrees and certifications mean shit. take advantage of the free sessions to get the feel for it, but start reading online on dieting, lifting, etc. You'll do much better by yourself and save money in the process

3. mandrew

mandrew New Member

all i know is the trainers at my 24 hour are a joke.

4. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

Those free sessions, if anything like a few years ago, are at first consultation for measurements/goals. The second is typically an introduction to the benefits of their structured training/diet advice while they may run you through some basic exercises. It's basically the trainer’s time to "sell you" on why you need their help.

5. solid snake

solid snake New Member

that sounds like an enragingly likely scenario.

6. Ricer

Ricer OT Supporter

when i first started lifting in grade 12 i used a trainer cus i didnt really know anyone in real life that knew how to lift and i wanted to learn proper technique, i would recommend it i just made sure to get a good deal (cus they overprice their shit hardcore to haggle them) and asked as many questions as i could think of to get my moneys worth.. Think it helped me in the end, plus he showed me how to do squats and deadlifts properly so i have been doing them since i started

7. Drilldo

Drilldo Active Member

If you can find one that can get it through their that you want to do actual weight training, not something that resembles a roadside sobriety test while balancing on one leg on a pilates ball, then yeah I'm sure it could be beneficial. However the scenarios mentioned above sound, as one put it, enragingly likely.

8. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Nothing wrong with trainers as long as they are actually pushing you and not babysitting you through a workout. I see too many people pay personal trainers to tell them to do cardio or stretch. That shit is stuff you should be doing either prior or post your workout. Find a trainer who knows what they are doing and tell them what YOUR goals are and have them draw you up a routine. You are buying their services and you are in control (when it comes to your goals). Remember that and you will get the most out of your sessions with a trainer.

9. hootpie

hootpie New Member

It depends...there are a few trainers at the new 24 I go to that know what they are doing and have the size/strength to back it up.

10. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

I've met a couple of 24 hr trainers that actually seem to know their shit. Most i've met tho seem to be the douchebag fratguy type that really dont know shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.