GUN OMG the all Stainless P229 9mm Elite is the whip!!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Oct 6, 2009.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

seriously?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats a clean looking gun :bowdown:

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

wack trigger, low capacity.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Do a lot of people shoot SIG X5's competitively?

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

nope. Kind of a cool gun but dropped the ball with capacity.

I do like the 226 SA. Again kind of a cool gun but I don't have a use for it. If I were to have a sig for the sake of having a sig that would be my choice. Would be like my CZ, very cool but I don't shoot it.

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Ray, why do you harp on Sig capacity. You do know, normal replacement 226 mags from Mecgar (who make the factory ones) are 18 rounds dont you? That is one more than a G17.

Factory mags are 16 rounds, hardly "whack capacity."

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Open (the only place a 9mm is allowed other than production which is capped at 10) needs ~23/24 for a 140mm to be competitive. Does sig make a 170mm big stick (29/30 being predominate there)?

I dunno anything about their 40's. I vaguely recall Matt Cheely saying he was running an X-5 in Limited (or maybe it was L10) this year, but never seen the setup.

8. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

But we're not talking about an open gun here, we're talking about a stock Sig for carry or normal use.

He made the same comments when people were comparing a Sig 226 to a Glock in another thread.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The flush fit sig 226 magazine in 9mm is 14 or 15 rounds I do not remember which. They make an extended magazine that is over 140mm that is 19 rounds. The mags also retail at $75. A glock 9mm pad with a basepad to bring the lenght to 140mm is 23-24 rounds. The mag is also much less expensive

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New Member

20 rounders for 39.99 and 29.99 at cdnn, mecgar and factory, not too bad actually.

11. thurman_merman

thurman_merman OT Supporter

im pretty happy with my p229 SS elite, its a great shooter.

:rofl: @ the glock whore calling sig elite trigger whack.

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Flush fit is 16 rounds in factory configuration and are 18 rounds in the aftermarket Mecgar configuration which are also flush fit.

The Mecgars are less than $30 each.

And when comparing guns such as this, its not for gaming, its for carry or HD and most are not using 140mm mags, they're using standard mags in which case the Sig + or - one compared to a G17.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I never seen a flush fit 18 round sig 226 mag. That does not mean such a thing does not exist. I have a hard time imagining it though because the grip on the 226 is more narrow than other wide body guns. Kind of like the CZ. People are telling me now that the CZ's have gone up in capacity with non stardard mags and followers.

I can only imagine that it's mag expanded to the limits of what will fit in the gun. I've seen this in the wide body 1911 world aka 2011 where a metal insert is pressed in the mag to expand it and a wide is clamped down on the outside to reform it to fit in the gun. Then the spring is cut and a shaved follower is used.

Don't get me wrong I like the 226 and box stock I think it is one of the more accurate guns. Damn good fighting gun.

The trigger on it though sig (DA/SA) is pretty long and funky compared to say a CZ. Even the worked over trigger I think the reset is too long. The Glock trigger for what it is, is the best of the non true single action triggers. The worked over glock triggers are really good. Now the SA sig triggers (worked over) are very good, but so are the SA CZ triggers (once they have been worked over). Since we are talking single action triggers, pretty much any single action trigger can be good with the exception on the browning highpower which is always garbage (that's another story).

If I could not have a glock, or a 1911, or a CZ. I would rate sig as 4th. There are a lot of things good about the sigs. They are known for their out of box accuacy. The sig 210 is pretty awesome but it's a single stack 9. To really roll everyting into one package of accuracy, speed, and capacity it still comes down to the glocks and wide body 1911's

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I will agree that the DA pull of the Sigs is less than stellar, but that can be lightened and smoothed a bit with some work if you need it.

On the other hand, its only the first shot and then you get the single action trigger on the Sig which is a nice pull for a "combat" style gun.

The short reset trigger found on the Elite models and can be fitted to any Sig are VERY short resets, at least as short if not shorter than the Glocks I've used.

So while a standard 226 might not be the greatest, with a little work and/or change to an SRT, it can be very nice.

And dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue what is better or not, just that you had talked about the lack of capacity a few times with the Sig and just thought I'd let you know that isnt really the case any longer. Even the standard 226 mag is totally flush fit and is only one round short of a G17.

15. Crossett

Crossett New Member

ATXRX7 on here has one in .40

very :coold: gun

The guy who posted the 9mm is an idiot, he's going to ruin that gun. The Thick wood grips and the short reset trigger are :wackit:

carry melt, chop the beaver tail, regular sig trigger, why did he even buy an elite?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  16. johnson

johnson New Member

Only single action for the P226 is the X-Five Tactical. :wtc:

17. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

My 226 holds 15+1 with a flush mag. My brother's G17 with the standard Glock extension holds 19+1. A flush mag on that is 17+1. To me, the loss of 2 rounds is worth how much better a Sig feels in my hand. As for the trigger, I love the reset and pull once my Sig goes into S/A, and prefer having a longer, heavier pull for my first shot, sincethe gun doesn't have a safety. I'm sure none of this applies in the competition world, but my 226 will be my duty gun once I get my badge. I may send it off to have the factory Sig Short Reset Trigger installed though, since I do love it and my department prohibits any non-factory trigger mods.

18. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Seen the sig 226 SA at trexpro and shotshow. They have them, do not know if it was slated for production or if it's a custom shop job or feeler for interest. They were nice though.