OMG RX-8 gas mileage.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Jan 18, 2010.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I didn't get to drive my RX-8 much the past few weeks, because of all the snow and road salt, but today I finally had to refill the gas tank. Total distance traveled? 193.5mi. Total gas burned? 14.52gal. What's that come out to? 13.33mi/gal.

FML. Add to this the way the gearbox feels in cold weather, and the RX-8 is clearly not a good winter car. Good thing I've still got the Passat for beater duty.

2. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

13 is pretty crazy, i average 17 normally, 12 on track days

3. deusexaethera

Yeah, I was seeing 16-17 during my daily commute, which consists of 12 miles of highway driving and 8 miles of stop/go traffic. This latest result just blew my mind; as if $3.00/gal wasn't bad enough, I need to get at least 200 miles to a tank to be able to get two weeks of commuting between refills.

Yeesh.

EDIT: You know, I bet it's that cheap gear oil they used when they built the car. Shit gets way too thick when it's cold outside. Can't wait for the 5,000 mile oil change so I can get that shit replaced with synthetic.

4. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

Isn't this what OT told you before you bought the car?

5. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

I like how you listen to what people have to say.

6. deusexaethera

I did listen to what people had to say. I never said I didn't know it got crappy gas mileage. It's just different to see it firsthand. I bought the car because I wanted it, not because it was the best rational choice I could make.

Anyway, this new tank of gas appears to be burning at the normal rate, now that it isn't butt-ass freezing cold outside.

7. dguy

I was more referring to the fact that the RX8 is known to have shitty gear oil, and you were told that.

8. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Hey my GTP normally can hit close to 30MPG on a flat road curising (yeah I'm not lying, cruising this thing can get good numbers) but lately with the extreme cold, my slipping torque converter and over all screwed up transmission I'm barely getting 17 on pretty much all highway. I can't wait to get this thing in good running condition.

9. Lucifer

Lucifer New Member

Ha! I average 25mpg out of a LS2.

10. deusexaethera

Yeah, but I bet you don't have Sirius radio. What now, son?

11. deusexaethera

Oh. Well yes, I knew that too, once the mechanic told me, I just didn't realize the extent to which it would affect the gas mileage. That and it doesn't usually get down into the teens for weeks at a time in VA like it did in early January. So...:dunno:

12. deusexaethera

2009, only has 1700 miles on it. Got it back in late October.

Yeah, I've noticed that there's basically no power loss with the A/C running on this car. If you got that kind of gas mileage on your old FC with the A/C on, then it must be a rotary-car quirk.

13. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

one of my friends about an 8 years back, i warned him about the horrible gas mileage, he said it all depended how you drove the car and he could do better than most people, after averaging 15mpg for a year he sold it.

14. dguy

I average 18mpg in my FD with a very large street port unless I'm going on a cruise and am heavily into the throttle. If you haven't been able to get similar numbers you need to adjust your driving style.

15. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Damn, my 5.7 liter truck averages better gas mileage

16. deusexaethera

Other things may be at play. My car was built in the summer, and I'm still not convinced the clutch line is 100% air-free. I sit at stoplights a lot on my drive home, and I'm pretty good about slowing the car down without using the brakes a lot, so the brake fluid probably doesn't ever reach full operating temperature in the winter. Where I'm going with this is I think my clutch might be dragging ever so slightly when it's cold out, which would make the engine work harder when idling. It might also explain the harsh shifting I feel when it's cold and the clutch engagement point that changes when the weather warms up suddenly.

17. Jumpy

Jumpy New Member

I wish it came with:
    The speed 3 turbo engine,
    and that hot body.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  18. PooJou

PooJou New Member

If you really care that much about fuel, don't buy a sports car?

:)

A rotary one at that (yes I own one, but I also have another car like you!)

19. dguy

The fuck are you talking about? If you're idling for any period of time longer than 5ish seconds you should be in neutral. Thats not going to 'fix' your mileage anyway. You're probably revving the car out too much as youre driving as most rotarys are want to do.

Also, what does brake fluid have to do with your mileage? Cripes the conclusions I've seen come from your brain are astounding at times.

20. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

21. S13_Coupe

S13_Coupe Grip>Drift

When you say your use to slowing down the car without the brakes are you downshifting, rev matching and all that jazz?

22. deusexaethera

The brake fluid is also the clutch fluid, on most cars including mine. The brakes, clutch, and their respective master cylinders are all connected to each other via metal hoses which can conduct heat. As the brakes warm up, so does the fluid and the lines it passes through, which in turn warms up the clutch line and the fluid inside it. As such, if I don't use the brakes very much, any air in the clutch line will stay cold and contracted and will keep the clutch from opening far enough to completely disengage. But if I drive longer than usual, or if it's a warmer day than we've had the past couple of months, the clutch fluid does get warmed up enough to expand any air bubbles in it, and the clutch starts operating properly again.

S13, yes, I do plenty of downshifting and coasting, and generally speaking I don't get going fast enough to need to use the brakes for much besides keeping the car from rolling when I'm stopped. My RX-8 has huge brakes compared to what I've had on previous cars, so even a light touch slows the car down quickly, and the large rotors have more surface area to dissipate heat with.

I should put it in Neutral if I have to keep the clutch open more than 5 seconds? That's the first time I've heard that rule. Is that actually necessary for some reason, or is it just more convenient than holding the clutch open? In any event, I have to do a LOT of creeping on my evening commute, so to a certain extent, there isn't much I can do about having to hold the clutch open a lot of the time.

23. dguy

No.

24. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

WHAT THE FUCK :uh:

25. deusexaethera

I never fail to be amazed at the total lack of useful information in the car forums here. If I'm so wrong, and you know it, it should be a simple matter to tell me how it really works.