A&P OMG Lightmeters

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Girth, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

2. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

you dont need one :o

3. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

You have them built into your body, they're called the eyes and used in conjunction with the "Play" button on your camera they are every bit as effective as any light meter.

4. Girth

ok, fine. WTF is the difference between all of them then? :dunno:

5. Bloke

Bloke Banned

pro tip
    spot mode is for shadows on sunny days, point it there and have good exposure.

6. Bloke

Bloke Banned

the more expensive ones are basically just cheap ones with more features. they wont read any diffrent. the spot meter is effective when used properly.

7. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

8. BluSpecs

BluSpecs New Member

If you are working with strobes a Light meter is pretty helpful especially if you are starting out. they are not as important as they used to be but they were agreat learning tool for me. If you shoot film with strobes they are pretty much a nessesity.

Used properly before your working with a model/client you look like less of a dumbass trying to get your lighting and exposure figured out.

9. Bloke

Bloke Banned

example this is the simple in camera meter
    [​IMG]
    he could have used spot for better result i think

10. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Im sorry, but I have to ask...

With in-camera reflective meters, the knowledge of how different colors may affect reflective metering, and an LCD with a histogram, why do you need a light meter?

The only thing I can see is so that you can only take one shot and get the exposure right. However, from a time point of view, couldnt you just snap a shot with what you think is right from the in-camera meter, check the historgram, and then adjust as needed?

11. Girth

I could. :dunno:

12. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I see what their importance was in the film days, but I just dont see it when youre shooting digitally and have access to a histogram right in front of you.

If you want to buy one, more power to you. Im simply saying I dont see the point when shooting digitally.

13. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

It looks cool hanging from a lanyard around your neck. Also doubles as nice rear view mirror ornament.

14. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/221078-REG/Sekonic_401_358_L_358_Flash_Master_Meter.html

I have that one and it works WONDERFULY. Everyone at RIT uses them and for the price they are the shit. More expensive ones just have more settings, more customizable stuff but that L-358 is bomb.

And while adam's method is perfectly fine once you start using a light meter it just makes your life less of a headache. Especially when you're working with multiple strobes and ambient light you can just pop the flashes 3 times, adjust the strobes for the right ratio's and it takes less than 45 seconds total and then you have more important things to worry about like actually shooting your subject. In your case it might make your life a little easier so when your kid is sitting there and you are going to take pictures of him you will spend less valuable time setting up your lights so in the long run you can have more time taking pictures of him while he is happy, (or even not drooling).

Bottom line is that a light meter is like power steering...while you don't 100 percent need it, it just makes your life so much better, and I really really suggest one.

15. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I don't think I'm good enough to have to worry about not trusting my cameras built in meter :dunno:

16. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

When I first started using a studio setup I didn't have a light meter because since I had a digital camera why would I need one? But it's just the most frustrating thing ever. With a light meter instead of understanding the light theoretically you have the numbers right there that give you cold hard evidence of what you are doing correctly or incorrectly.

17. Girth

see, thats what I'm thinking. Even if I'm using the lights outside, I think the meter would come in handy if I want to get the shot the first time around. :dunno:

18. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

It really comes in SO fucking handy dude like coming from a kid that takes pictures for assignments literally EVERYDAY of the week i couldn't leave home without it.

19. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Exactly! It also makes adjusting your strobes so much easier, especially if you have the Sekonic L-358 that fires pocket wizards. You simply point the meter at the light in question, press the side of the meter, the flash goes off and you see your f/stop right there. It really earns it's pay when you have multiple lights. No guesswork, no "shooting a shot then chimping the histogram" and trying to figure out if the ratio is correct.

20. Girth

:cool:

not a bad price either.

21. Bloke

Bloke Banned

the 308 is just as accurate

22. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

Get the L358