MMA Olympic Judo gold medalist Satoshi Ishi headed for American Top Team

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

Olympic Judo gold medalist Satoshi Ishi headed for American Top Team

By: Stefan Manojlovic
    [​IMG]

What is ‘Benedict Arnold’ translated into Japanese?

After flirting with DREAM, Olympic Judo gold medalist Satoshi Ishii has opted to pursue a career in the UFC rather than the Japanese promotion according to Fighters Only Magazine.

Quoteworthy:
    “I made up my mind finally - the UFC is where I want to fight. I’m a white belt in MMA. I understand the possibility of starting from WEC. If I was an unknown judoka, I would definitely build up my MMA experience in Japan first. However, I have decided put my Judo gold medal to use. I believe my name value will attract the UFC.”
    Ishii was expected to make his mixed martial arts debut on New Year’s Eve at the FieLDS Dynamite!! supershow scheduled for the end of this year. He verbally agreed to sign with Fighting and Entertainment Group (FEG) and even held a fan club celebration party on November 3.

The 22-year old Ishii was apologetic for his failure to commit, and his hero status could take a serious hit when he heads to the famed American Top Team (ATT) camp in March of 2009.

This isn’t the first time Ishii has made noise in the world of MMA.

After winning his gold medal in Beijing, Ishii issued an open challenge to heavyweight deity Fedor Emelianenko. I guess he didn’t see what Fedor did to silver medalist Naoya Ogawa at PRIDE Final Conflict back in 2004.

Fedor of course smiled and went about his business, as Ishii has yet to prove that he can transition from Judo to mixed martial arts - and a few questions have been raised of his ability to strike (or be struck).

In addition, his Judo Federation doesn’t seem too keen on the idea of him making the jump from Judo to mixed martial arts, despite Ishii’s persistence.

From Tokyo’s Kokushikan University program leader Kazuo Yoshimura:
    “This guy turns everybody into an enemy. He’d better get out [of Japan] without delay.”
    Ishii is young, brash and shooting for a spot on the UFC roster.

Maybe he can audition for The Ultimate Fighter Season 10.

2. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

lol this guy is biting off more than he can chew. Obvious skills in ONE aspect of mma, but the guy needs a serious reality check.

3. Sylva

Sylva New Member

Too bad they can't teach him how to make weight.

4. kroneX

kroneX New Member

This guy has a mean and fast as shit ground game for a big guy, and he is a mean Osoto Gari and O Uchi Gari

So he has his ground game covered, and his throws covered thats 2 out of 3, now all he has to do is work on his striking, but with the striking of some of the heavy weights in the UFC thats not too hard :mamoru:

5. kroneX

kroneX New Member

btw don't underestimate judo in MMA, i spend half my time on the board here defending judo here from idiots

6. teep

teep New Member

i don't think anyone doubts the effectiveness of judo when you get a world class judoka like this guy. it's just not realistic for someone training MMA full time right now to develop those kinds of skills (i.e. a skill level high enough to be effective in MMA) while keeping up the rest of their shit to par.

7. kroneX

kroneX New Member

BJ penn said that one part of your game has to be phenomenal whilst the others have to be decent. /nut hugging

that and the kid is only 22 years old

8. roose

roose Guest

more so than Brock Lesnar?

things worked out pretty good for him.

As long as dude can take a punch, he'll be alright. An olympic calibur HW judoka is exciting.

9. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I think his style will translate well into MMA. I would like to know what happens to his game once someone gets him a few good times. Experience is what he'll need to get used to that. I'm sure ATT will do a good job of that if he does go to that camp.

Edit: From that article the guy sounds really flaky, so I have doubt's he'll even fallow through with this.

10. kroneX

kroneX New Member

nah the guy is just a bit of a rebel on the judo scene, he probably will follow through with it, he just likes getting under peoples skin.

11. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

How big is this guy?

And however good his ground game is for a judoka, it won't match up to a lot of the UFC HWs.

12. kroneX

kroneX New Member

He is a HW, and don't discount judo or sambos ground games thanks.

13. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

I know he is a HW, I'm asking is he 6' 230 or is he 6'6" 250 or what? And I'm not discounting his ground game, I'm saying that there is a definate diffrence between a judo an bjj blackbelts groundgame. A lot like the differnce between their takedowns...

14. GreatDeceiver

5'11 @ 240

Lesnar is what 6'3 @ 270? He's a physical freak that's great at wrestling, like I said this guy is great at one aspect of so many in MMA, he needs to get in the game before calling out Fedor and looking way too far ahead :hsugh:

15. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

dope he is a good fit for att

16. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Thegreatdeciver do you even read the replies to your comments?

17. GreatDeceiver

:ugh: I can see you are nutriding this guy pretty hard.

What about my post is hard to understand? Roose compared Ishi to Lesnar, I'm saying the size difference is pretty drastic and Lesnar had to lose in MMA before getting to 'the top' which meant beating mediocre Herring and an old Randy.

Show me don't fucking talk, let's see you get some legit mma wins judoka :hsugh:

18. GreatDeceiver

And as far as your reply goes, I'm not convinced that a pedigree judo background makes you as useful in mma as Ishi thinks it is. While it is a huge advantage because not many guys use it the beauty of the sport is that there's always a strategy that beats another and until this guy is rounded out he will get bested by smart experienced MMA guys. K?

19. roose

roose Guest

Guys like Koschek and Lesnar have proved that you can be one-dimensional and work your way into being a well rounded fighter.

This guy is athletic and looks to have the right mindset. Doing stuff like calling out Fedor helps to get people interested and especially these days you have to be a draw.

Here's hoping he can develop a striking game.

20. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Judo focus's on throws and ground work, so he has 2 out of the 3 main ingredients for MMA, all he needs to learn is how to punch.

Also there are a fair few Judo players in MMA that do really well, utilizing there throws. Aoki, Filho, Fedor, Arlovski, Karo, Kazushi Nakumura, Hector Lombard, yoshiyuki yoshida, hidehiko yoshida.

The obvious stratergy to fight a judo guy is to either a) beat him on the ground (which can be difficult if they extensivly train in grappling or b) sprawl and brawl, of course there is a stratergy, but Ishi is gonna cross train to strengthen his weak points. Your point is a circular argument (there is one strat that will beat another strat) of course there is no one is disputing that.

oh and here you go, my fav judo MMA highlight real
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKsGgUCaUI

I am not saying judo is the end all be all of MMA, but i am saying its underestimated and underrated. I am sure he will adapt his game with punches and kicks, and turning 22 just a few days ago, his got plenty of time to learn

21. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  22. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

karo's dropknee is fucking nastyy

23. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I read on the UG that Ishi had already been doing some cross-training, and was demonic in the manner that he quickly picked up and starting applying what he'd been taught (this was for wrestling iirc).

It's good that he recognises the UFC is the big dog, but he needs to get a start somewhere and I'm not sure if diving right into the UFC is the greatest idea for him.

He would get massive paydays in Japan, but he'd get peanuts in the UFC in comparison until he actually delivered some huge wins. The UFC would drop him very quickly if he didn't string together some wins, then he'd have burned a lot of his bridges in Japan.

But if the UFC wants to make in-roads in Asia (shows in Korea) then he'd be an excellent buy.

24. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Yep, there is definately a difference between bjj and judo's ground game, but when you take into account that this guy is going to ATT and going to be training with some top level BJJ and wrestling guys, his ground game is gonna gonna get even better. ATT is going to be good for this guy, and the fact that he's really young helps out immensely.

Baylon Vs Fowler.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOMaYCPUob4

and F this, i need to go back to train, i'm getting fat as hell. ugh

25. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

I'm really liking the prospect that there are more people joining who aren't just your typical angry white guy who took 6 months of BJJ/MT and look tarded out taking the undercard by storm and leaking over to the main events.