GUN Olympic arms

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Painkiller, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

I was looking at their AR-15s, are they a decent company?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

decent, yes. you can do better, though. DPMS, Bushmaster, and Colt are the only three i'd buy full rifles from. i'd consider lowers from most of the major AR makers. if i were parting together one, i'd go rock river lower, rock river upper, bushmaster barrel, LMT enhanced (or knight's when it comes out after SHOT) bolt and carrier. if i had the money after that, i'd start upgrading, like an accuracy speaks trigger, rail forend, etc.

for a complete rifle, i'd just spend a hair more for a bushmaster.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Hogwash!

I've got a pre-ban Olympic lower and have not had the slightest problem out of it. I have assembled more AR-15s than most of the OT crowd own and I must say, Oly Arms can spec out with the rest of them any day of the week.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i never said that you'd have problems. i also said that you'd be fine with one of their lowers. for an upper (mainly the barrel), or a complete rifle, there are better choices. there are only three companies that make their rifles to milspec. bushmaster, colt, and DPMS. others come close, or may get on one part of their rifle, but not on another. they may use a non-forged front site base, or less-than-milspec barrel steel. like i said, decent, yes. but you can do better. you'd be fine with one of their lowers, but do you have the knowledge and tools to put together an upper?

5. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

I don't know if it's absolutely true, but I remember reading years ago that Olympic Arms made a very small number of AK47 "Pistols" (short barrel, no stock) even when advised not to do so; this had a negative impact on a subsequent ATF ruling which in affected military pattern semi-automatic rifles. I'm sorry I don't remember more details, we're talking over 10 years ago, and I just turned 40 (my long term memory is failing me).

If it's not true, I humbly apologize to Olympic arms.