GUN Olympic Arms AR-15

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by soccaian, Nov 30, 2004.

1. soccaian

soccaian New Member

i'm thinking about buying an Olympic Arms target AR-15 with a 16" bull barrel for $600

good deal?

2. soccaian

soccaian New Member

its brand new

3. jdmlude2000

jdmlude2000 Guest

condition other then brand new....probly best to find someone to actually look at it.

4. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

More details needed. Oly makes some cast AR's. Is it cast or forged?

5. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Regardless its a good price for what you're getting.

6. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The barrel on my oly was installed canted so you couldn't click enough windage to hit at 100 yards. It's currently with a gunsmith friend getting rebarreled correctly. Of all the AR makers they rank in the middle of the pack based on reliability, quality and finish.

If this is your first rifle I would get a Bushmaster or Rock River.

7. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

600 is "fair". Take ShackleMeNot's advice and find a Bushy or RRA.

8. soccaian

soccaian New Member

yeah, i kinda knew beforehand that they were slightly middle of the road, but i am getting this rifle at-cost, so it's kinda hard to pass up

9. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

save your money an don't get a oly. Use the ABCRs of ar15's. Armalite, Bushmaster, colt, rock river. I would go rock river or bushy.

10. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

bushmaster. RRA if you're REALLY strapped on cash and absolutely can't afford the extra hundred bucks or so for a bushmaster.

11. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

You know I honestly don't know why you guys bash Oly. Arms so much, I have a 12 year old Oly and although I've got some newer parts in the thing; it shoots straight. The barrels rifling is true and bright, the receiver is tight with the aid of a wedge. Now I do understand that QC sometimes lacks with Oly, but if you can at least check out the rifle before getting your hands on it then I see no problem in getting an OLY. Honestly I believe its mostly personal preference, and if you really want to spend that extra cash. I can do everything I can with my Oly that I can do with my Bushy and DPMS. I can only imagine how many rounds, reloaded and factory, and 0 problems so far.

But yes if you've money to spend why not just get a Colt 6920.

12. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:ugh:

13. Platinum_Thunder

because a 6920 is like $1500

14. Platinum_Thunder

or a 4+ month wait

15. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

hahaha, I bought 3 6920s after the ban ended for $900 a piece. I recently sold all 3 of them + some Q3131A to a local collector for $5000. The proceeds are going into building a Comp worthy AR. I can't imagine these prices are gonna stay this high forever, and honestly I'd rather have an LMT upper on a decent lower anyways.

16. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

The 6920 will not be that expensive forever.

It jumped in price because of that stupid letter that was circulated that said colt will not allow dealers to sell "LE" rifles to civilians. Since its obvious that its bullshit (whether colt really wrote it or not) and now its obvious that they will continue to be available, the price will go down.

But demand is still exceeding supply, keeping the price up.

LMT is good, IF you get a good one.

For some reason, I was unable to hold a zero with my LMT upper with an aimpoint. I thought it was the aimpoint itself, nope. sent it back to aimpoint, got a new one and it still happened. Thought it was the Larue mount. Sent it back to Mark Larue, and he checked it out, nope. I finally sent the whole thing minus the RAS II back to C4iGrant and he found put my aimpoint on his (LMT) upper and it held zero. He put his aimpoint on my upper and it did the same thing as it did with my aimpoint, movement of teh point of aim. He sent it back to LMT so they can se whats up. Speaking of which, its been a while I should call LMT.

basically LMT is the second best to colt, for a bit cheaper, but the quality control isnt teh best. If there is a problem they will fix it tho.

17. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

1. Colt
    2. LMT
    3. Bushmaster
    4. Armalite
    5. RRA

18. soccaian

soccaian New Member

damn... so many acronyms with AR's... i dont think i'll ever be able to catch on.

this is not my first rifle, this will be gun #8, however, it is going to be my first AR. I'm simply unsure if i will be able to find a better deal out there for a brand new gun.

i do appreciate the advice... very much so.

AR's scare me because of their price.

19. user32

user32 Guest

I read somewhere (I think it was on Olympic Arms' website) that they were discontinuing the cast recievers for their low end "Plinkers" and going with all forged recievers instead. This makes the "plinkers" even a better deal.

I have not heard any complaints about Olympic Arms, althought I have never owned one. I currently have a Bushmaster. I am thinking that I may get one of the Olympic 9mm ARs that accepts Glock mags...

20. soccaian

soccaian New Member

i could pick up one of those "plinker" models for something rediculous like $400

21. soccaian

soccaian New Member

22. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Ok, I own a 20" Oly that wasn't built right at the factory and is currently at the AR Dr to get straightened out (literally). I have seen several Oly's that have made it through Tac Rifle classes just fine. I have also seen Oly's that died. Like I wrote earlier in this thread they are about the middle of the pack for workmanship and reliability. I'm not anti-oly and they make some nice pistol caliber carbines that no one else does but I would think twice about buying one as your first AR.

Spend the extra money and get a Bushmaster. If buying one AR is a lot of money for you, you don't want that one AR to not run right. You will spend a lot more money in the long run if you need to get your gun fixed.

I also in my files have a picture of an Oly upper receiver that failed (WHILE BEING FIRED).

[​IMG]

23. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

24. soccaian

soccaian New Member

hmmmm....

25. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I knew I had the other pic somewhere. It just took some digging.

[​IMG]

I'm sure Bushmaster has made some junk guns in their time but I'd still rather spend a little more money than take my chances.