GUN Olympic Arms 93

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by UsualSuspect, Nov 23, 2004.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

Was at the local shop with my buddy who wanted me to look at a gun he is interested in buying.

OA93

[​IMG]

The one he is looking at has the shorter upper shown in the picture NOT attached to the gun. The gun feels amazing and should fit into his collection nicely. They are asking $989.00. I told him to sleep one more night on it to make sure that he wanted this one for sure.

It also has a foregrip on it like this...

[​IMG]

Any thoughts?

2. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

It's a registered SBR, right?

3. UsualSuspect

I assume SBR means short barrelled rifle? I don't know. What would that mean?

4. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

If the overall barrel length is less than 16", it must be registered as an SBR (short-barreled rifle). Otherwise it's illegal.

That little thing is gonna be loud, inaccurate, and most likely unreliable. I know because I've tried them. If your buddy has a grand to blow, he could buy an awfully nice Bushy or Rock River M4 clone or any other AR variant he wants. You'd be doing him a big favor if you steered him in that direction.

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The short upper will do you no good if you can't attach it. To use that upper the lower must be a registered pistol, SBR (with all the title II headaches) or a machine gun.

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Most likely, the gun is classified as a pistol because it left the factory without a stock. If that is the case, then it is perfectly legal to own with the short upper on the gun.

Now, if you put a folder on it, you have to put a full-sized upper on.

However, if you have it in legal pistol configuration, then you are not allowed to mount the vertical foregrip. That would make it illegal.

Having said all that, there are few OA93's out there that are the older model. They now have to be cleared as pistols due to weight of the complete firearm. The newer ones have holes all through the receiver to make the correct weigh-in or they are made out of composite material.

I hope this helps.

7. UsualSuspect

Well the shop owner didn't say anything about so I am assuming that it is legit. While we were looking at it he put the fore grip on it. I will let yall know if he gets it and will post pics.

8. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The pistol weight limit (50 ozs) was part of the AWB and no longer applies.

9. RRTX

RRTX New Member

This is how the OA-93 normally comes [​IMG]

The fully assembled weapon in that pic is an OA-93 carbine, which does have a 16" barrel. The OA-98 was the "post ban" version with all the holes cut in it to make it meet the 50oz weight requirement during the AWB. The cool thing about the OA series pistols is that they don't have that stupid buffer tube sticking out the back like the Carbon-15 and other AR pistols have. One thing your friend may want to check though, IIRC having a forward vertical grip on it like that technically makes it an AOW which makes it subject to NFA rules. I believe there is a fight going on right now with the ATF over that rule

10. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

If you put a foregrip on any weapon classified as a pistol it will get you 10 years in prison.

11. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

An to put that 7 inch upper on it would either have to have no stock and registered as a pistol. or it could be registered as a SBR. But I wouldn't SBR a 7 inch since they suck except for making noise and muzzle flash.

12. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

IIRC, Olympic Arms was the company that screwed us on import 7.62X39 ammo by releasing an AK-47 Pistol a number of years ago. They were warned of the implications, but did it anyway.