Olds 455ci into a Gen 1 Dodge Intrepid

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sociopath, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Sociopath

Sociopath Guest

anyone see any possible complications? from what i can tell, the hardest part will be the Insipid's computer causing problems overall, and i'll need to buy/build a new fuel tank, to make room for the drivetrain/rear differential. The firewall/floorboards/frame already have the cuttouts to allow for the driveshaft/tranny

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I hope you have money and a lot of fabricating talent.

Why not a Chrysler V8? :o

3. Sociopath

Sociopath Guest

cause i've already got the engine sitting in a shitbox regal :o
    all around, I figured it'd be cheaper to do the engine swap, than restoring the Buick, or buying a Chrysler V8 :dunno:

EDIT: btw, why was this thread moved? i figured it'd be more appropriate in american muscle than in OT, and less likely to get useless flames?

4. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

sounds like a terrible idea, but you go ahead

5. CrappyCar

CrappyCar New Member

Put that slug in a RWD car where it belongs.

6. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Tried? That doesn't sound good. :o

7. Sociopath

Sociopath Guest

that's what auto stores are for... replace rear axel w/ rear differential, and turning it into a RWD :o

8. Sociopath

Sociopath Guest

i wasn't going for "different" or even looking for credit, i was merely looking to make the horsepower that i have available, usable, rather than leave it sitting in a rusting hulk of a POS car that is going nowhere but a fucking junkyard. I'm not looking for flames, or useless postwhoring comments, just advice, and possible problems that i might encounter during the venture.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i dont even think that engine will fit under teh hood not to metniot redseigin the front and rear suspension fiding some where to mount that baset so it wont rip teh chassis in half

10. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

I spent a good deal of time working in a chassis shop and actually had a customer who brought us a VW Scirroco to switch over to rwd. His purposes were for drag racing only, but you two share the same idea.

We cut the body off of the floorboard/unibody structure. This is what you will have to do. The stock construction of all front wheel drive cars is that of a unibody construction. We built a tube chassis to set the body back down onto and fabricated new floors, firewall, wheeltubs, etc.

Something like this is a huge undertaking. You can't just bolt a rear drive axle under a friont wheel drive car. A big shop with good welders/plasma cutters/tube benders and plenty of metal at your disposal is just the beginning of what you'll need.

I'll try and dig up a pic of that money pit Scirroco so you can see how extensive this is.

11. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

I would say forget it if you have never built a full chassis and know your stuff when it comes to front end setup. Lots of time and money too.

Pics as promised of the VW Scirroco I was involved in.

This guy had to pay us in quarterly payments. We had tons of hours in this thing. I couldn't understand why he didn't find a better body to go with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  12. Sociopath

Sociopath Guest

i can see from the pics you posted, that this is a LOT more extensive than i thought... and appears to be beyond my means... probably cheaper just to get the regal in decent shape, and leave it at that. Thanks for the input guys, i do appreciate it. :bigthumb:

13. Sociopath

Sociopath Guest

It'll fit... but the problems lie elsewhere... i.e. flyinbrian's post...