Older Imacs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by strange_wu, Jan 12, 2006.

1. strange_wu

strange_wu Large Member

I've been looking to get an imac for a while now and although I'd love to get the Intel version I've seen some basically brand new g5 Imacs 20" going for around 1200. Would you spend the extra 800 for the new processors?

My main use will be photoshop, flash, indesign.

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

imo i wouldnt

3. Devoidarex

Devoidarex Rexversusu v.2.0

Yeah, I've been reading on a lot of Mac forums, and the Pro-G5/Anti-Intel camp mostly just comes off as pussyhurt people who got screwed by Apple when they recently bought a new iMac or Powerbook.

I'm sure there will be hiccups, but NOBODY has given me a reason to believe that the new HARDWARE will be anything but great.

Even if it is ONLY the equal of the old G5's, at least you won't be buying old-tech which is officially on it's way out.

I might think differently if I owned a bunch of expensive software that was built for the G5, though. Otherwise, I see no reason not to adopt the new hardware if you are looking to upgrade.

4. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

I would buy the G5 imac, even at the same price.
    Until all the software is ported, the G5 will be faster. and even after, it will still be faster in some tasks. the "2 times faster" line is mostly marketing bullshit. (for example, a G5 imac encodes AAC in itunes faster than the new intel imac, and i would expect that itunes has been compiled for intel).

Im not bitter at being "screwed" as i havent bought anything recently. But i do plan on buying an imac, and probably an ibook as well in the next few months, and im definately buying PPC macs.

5. Devoidarex

Why would you choose a computer that will steadily be getting "worse" over a computer that will steadily get "better"?

6. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

Because it WONT be getting worse. It'll be staying the same. And right now that "same" is better than you'll get on the intel mac. PPC support will be around for many years, and by the time the intel mac is "better" it will be getting close to time to upgrade anyways, AND all (most?) of the software will be ready as well.

The new hardware likely IS great, but so is the G5. If youre software needs are limited to some few apps that are/will be ported to intel already/soon, then the intel mac is great, but for everyone else it may not be the best choice just yet.

I jumped on the PPC hardware right at the switch from 680x0, and by the time most everything was PPC native, my "mighty" powermac 8100/80 was way outdated. I would have been better off getting a cheaper 68040 Mac, and now is the same thing over again. except more difficult and less compatible.

7. Devoidarex

My point is only that, given the choice between an iMac G5 and an iMac Intel for the SAME price, the only reason to stick with a G5 is because you are dependant (paycheque wise) on pro apps running quickly and problem free.

For the majority of potential iMac buyers, I think that their needs will be suited just fine with the installed software and running 3rd party software under rosetta for the next few months.

I'm planning on keeping my iMac for 3 to 5 years, and it's good to know that all the software coming out in the future will be directed at the new technology.

I just wouldn't buy an old technology unless my paycheque depended on it.

Besides, I don't see how this iMac will become outdated in anytime for running internet browsers and playing videos. Contrary to popular belief, most mac owners don't encode/decode 50 gig video files all day long for major hollywood studios.