Older computer reformat puzzle

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 04, Oct 31, 2003.

1. 04

04 Guest

I told some people I would reformat their old 266mhz P2. Unfortunatly it seems that even though there is an option in the bios (Gigabyte 440BX slot 1 motherboard) to boot directly from the cd rom, this does not work. The drive is a Creative labs ATAPI dvdrom. I tried to boot it up with a startup disc, and then install the creative drivers to no avail. It won't even use the oakcdrom.sys :wtf:

I switched the Creative out for an old smart and friendly cd-burner and it had no problems and is re-installing win98 right now :confused:

Does Creative's older optical drives have poor compatibility to the oakcdrom generic driver or something?
  2. Rob

Rob Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 6, 2002
    Creative. :ugh:

If I remember correctly some drives don't support booting off a CD. Maybe that was the case.
  3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Mar 14, 2000
    I had a creative that required the SB card to control it. I wouldn't worry too much about it - a floppy drive will resolve future issues.
  4. 04

04 Guest

well another thing is, the creative drive wouldnt boot off a windows xp cd either :wtf:
  5. wax

wax Guest

Just take the hard drive out of that computer and slap it in a new computer. Then get the setup started, once it reboots take the hard drive out and put it back in the old computer :big grin: Problem Solved ;)
  6. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Apr 3, 2002
    I was just recently messing with a Pentium machine that had the Boot from CD-ROM option in the bios but wouldn't do it, so I stuck the DVD-ROM I had laying around from when I got a DVD-Burner, and it booted up just fine. The old drive was even a Lite-On, I guess all drives go bad eventually.