GUN Old weapons advice.......

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by i69UrMOM, Jul 25, 2008.

1. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

Well I just took three more weapons that once belong to my granddad from my dad. Basically because he sucks at taking care of them.

I'll post pics later right now they are at a local gun shop getting cleaned.

I pretty much want to restore them completely and actually use them but the local gun shop owner said I might not want to because it will hurt the value of them. Okay I understand the whole don't touch them because it will hurt the value but there isn't anything in this world that will get me sell these guns. They've been in the family for way too long.

Here is my big question So should i care that it hurts the value of them if I restore them? Would you restore them?

Three weapons in question:

Stevens 410 Double Barrel shotgun (this is prior serial req.)
    Stevens 22-.410 over under
    Winchester lever action .30-06 Spfd (we think this might be prior 1964... gun shop is checking with his guy now)

2. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

Lets turn them into flower vases.

3. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

I'm game

4. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I have a .410 just like that. But I only just noticed that it doesn't have numbers.
    My grandpa started 'misplacing' guns a few years ago, so I snagged it.

Nothing like picking a dove off a fence at 70 yds with a .410 :rofl:

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

You're not going to hurt the value of either of the Stevens by "restoring" & shooting them... those are dime-a-dozen utility guns.

The Winchester could be worth a chunk of change. All I would say here is don't do a "do it yourself" restoration if you are interested in preserving the value. Either have it professionally done or leave it alone.

6. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

I'm not planning on a "do it yourself" restoration. I'm going to have the local shop do it. (and yes i've already seen his work)

7. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

:bowdown: I'm a dove hunting nut. I get shit all the time from people because I bring the A-5 to shoot. They all think that shotgun should be put up but I say fuck that it shoots good why use something else. My plan is to have the 410 double barrel shotgun done by this coming season and see how it does. The main thing the gun shop is doing right now is putting firing pins in it and a good clean. Some how both of them were missing :dunno:

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

Stevens Arms actually invented and developed the .22lr round. In the early 1900's they had a fairly extensive military contract. Many of their .22lr were used to train military. They were actually one of the top military and civilian firearms manufacturers way back in the day.

In the later days they sold guns at Sears. Which is why it may sometimes have a stigma of being a sub par firearm. They were a tool and firearmns company from the 1800's that sold millions of firearms.

If your stevens rifle has any kind of military branding, it can and probably is worth some coin. It would be worth getting a professional assesment. Check the rear portion of the receiver.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  9. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

With no firing pins it was already set up to be a wallhanger.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  10. i69UrMOM

i69UrMOM New Member

shit I'm taking it back to the field :wiggle:

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

Without pics it's hard to say.

So far I have "restored" two rifles - a Mosin 91/30 and a very old Westernfield .22. They both looked much better after, but I regretted both of them.

12. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie