old VW Beetles

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by amac88, Jan 15, 2008.

1. amac88

amac88 New Member

So, Ive heard many stories about the old VW Beetles being one of the best cars to restore/modify. You can make one into a dune buggy, restore to original condition, put a faster engine in them, all kinds of stuff. Where would I get started with restoring one? What engines fit into them without much fabrication? Give me some info.

2. cnred

cnred New Member

i dont know a terrible amount of info on them but i have seen some fast ones. A lot of them run turbo'd motors that are around 1300cc. A fast 'vert one would be pretty sick to ride around in during summer.

3. d3cromanc3r

d3cromanc3r 79 Слизняков

www.thesamba.com and www.vwvortex.com are awesome forums for aircooled vw's. you can go anywhere from 1300cc to like 2500cc engines with ease. as for getting started with restoring one, start looking for one with a good body. everything else is relatively cheap(in comparison to restoring other cars)

i got lucky and the one i ended up buying spent it's whole life in florida, so no rust.

just check the whole underbody and the floorpans before buying anything.

4. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

rusted heater channels are the most expensive thing to have replaced IIRC. They are also structural, so they must be fixed if they are rusted out.

5. RichieHemingway

RichieHemingway New Member

If you're looking for a fast car you should start somewhere else.

We had to get rid of ours because of the rusting.

Those things rock though.