old sony trinitron monitor

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bloke, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Bloke

Bloke Banned

what does it mean when the left side of the screen is not in focus but the right is? i havent used this old thing in years.

its a 20"

2. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Might just need to be refocused.. on my GDMF500R, the focus controls were right on the flyback transformer. Before you do this, I recommend you get a test pattern program such as:
    http://www.idk-tech.com/webvg/index.html
    The solid color line patterns make it easy to see any misaligned color guns or unfocused areas.

If it needs a color alignment, then you're on your own, but they are usually on the neck of the tube itself. Be careful! There are VERY high voltages involved, even when the thing's turned off and unplugged. Get a grounding strap for your wrist at the very least, and insulate your hand. You'll need to find the service manual for it and/or determine on your own where the controls are. This monitor has alignment controls both on the circuit board and in the onscreen menu.

If you don't know anything about servicing analog line-voltage electronic equipment, then I recommend that you find someone who does and have him do it.

3. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I would never recommend anybody to open their own monitor.
    1. It's cheaper to buy a new one.
    2. An expert should work on it, as opening a monitor, even when off, can kill an inexperienced person.

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

mine has focus controls for vertical and horizontal on the on screen contols. you think theres more inside?

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

if you can't fix it without opening it...slap it alot on the side...if that doesn't work, get yourself a nice new screen. it's not worth being killed to save an old monitor.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: A monitor is not worth fixing these days anyway. Newer, nicer ones are very cheap.

7. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Perfectly fine.

Goto the convergence menu, adjust it until both sides are in focus.
    Goto the screen menu, adjust the landing of the left top and bottem.
    degauss.

FD Trinitrons > * > shit > lcd

8. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Not these days. Nice screens are hard to come by because of the lcd bandwagon.

9. MrMan

MrMan New Member

There are plenty of CRT monitors out there. And they're only getting cheaper. CRTs are usually better than LCDs for gaming and web design. (I say usually because somehow Apple got their colors right on their LCDs.) LCDs are pretty much useful for everyday use.

Also if you repair an old monitor, some other part may fail in the near-future. By then, you could have had yourself a brand new monitor.

10. Bloke

Bloke Banned

whats adjust the landing mean