OLD school RF subs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by idontgiveashit, Jun 14, 2002.

1. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

first off, i know that old school RF amps are good, but how about their subs. I went to talk to this kid that i know about buying some cheap subs off him for my friend. He said he had some he'd gimme, so im like, alright expecting some jensens or somehting similar but brought some old RF subs out. One was a 12 and one was a 10. I dont know much about them so i thought id ask some ppl that knew somehthing. I got the codes off of em too.
    12 is: S1-412 4 ohms "Series 1"
    10 is: PCH-810 8 ohms black "The Punch Classic"
    The 10 has a much larger magent than the 12 does also, about 1 1/2 times as big as a matter of fact.
    On both, wehre you put the scpeaker wire on, they arent close to eachother as my new Punch is, they are about 5-6inches away.

2. idontgiveashit

also, what is the ported box reccommendations?

3. 04

04 Guest

Im sure they are fine, how much did the guy want for them? Also, be aware that a used speaker is subject to heavy use, and could have mechanical problems with it. This is mostly is not the case, but could be if your friend likes to listen very loud.

4. Cashishift

Cashishift Well-Known Member

those are OLD SCHOOL subs.. like 5-6 years old..

if it was me, i'd just go buy something new.. speakers get worn out over time.. the materials get fragile..

5. idontgiveashit

042801-well, the price was right, they were free, lol. They were under some heavy use i knew about, but i made a ghetto box today for the 10 and it sounds pretty good actually. The 12 works, but havent built a box for it yet, the subs werent even for me anyways, they were for my friends tracker, he just wanted a lil extra bump, so we figured that free subs would do. The 12 is going to be a home driver.

6. i had 2 15 rf punch they were ol,but they thumped!!!!! and the box wasnt even half big enough:wiggle:

7. theLEFTY83

theLEFTY83 New Member

Ask any decent car audio shop about RF subs and they will all say they blow ass. Don't waste your money, I used to have some.

8. 04

04 Guest

And why might a *decent car audio shop* say RF subs suck? Do any of them carry RF? Most people selling car audio have no clue as to what is good and what is bad. They dont even know how the product works to make an accurate comparision between two products.

I had a kid in a store tell a friend's brother that Alpine Type R speakers put out great bass because of their big surrounds. I started to argue and he started some BS about how the diameter of the basket was bigger than competing speakers, thus having more cone area and more bass. I almost laughed out loud. Too bad my friends brother decided to listen to the guy and not me!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: The average consumer thinks the person selling the product is all knowledgeable. :rofl: :rofl:

Who do you think was correct, me or him? I know Loudsystem will agree with me on this one!!! :o :bigthumb: :p

9. idontgiveashit

yeah, i know RF blows, but RFs are better than nothing, these are just to get me by, i was just wondring if anyone know about these, thats all.