Old school Mac crew

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWeasel, Nov 3, 2008.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

From time to time I get a little nostalgic and remember back to the days of OS 9, 8.5, 8, and 7 (the earlier days weren't as good to us). Who else was around back then?

Remember when Norton Utilities use to be the shit? It actually worked and worked well. HyperCard was the shit. Kid Pix, AtEase, After Dark, Hellcats, Vette, and more. :bowdown:

Anyone into the hacker and script kiddie scene back then? Old favorites like Macman, Weasel.org, and Freak's Mac Archive. Others like Blackout, Infovlad, and many many more.

How about TextEdit and how every fucking app you installed included a copy of it? You'd search your system and find 50 freakin' copies of it throughout your hard drive.

Memories anyone?

2. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

i remember claris works and all the right type from elementary school. and when you had to put the cds in some case and then into the cdrom drive. my memory is a bit hazy from that time.

3. hoppy1028

hoppy1028 New Member

i remember playing oregon trail but thats it..... elementary school son

4. squid

squid braap

lode runner

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Yup the old CD trays they used in many of those machines. Things were a pain in the ass. My 6100 had those as did my older Performa. Back when we had 2x CD-ROM drives and CD-RAM.

6. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

Oregon Trail was The Shit™ on the Apple IIe :bowdown: 5 1/4 inch disks :coold:

Tried to get into the script kiddy thing and fell out of it.

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

do any of you watch Chuck? in a recent episode, government agents were testing a new super computer (the intercept 2) and i swear it was one of these.

[​IMG]

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

My first computer was a Mac. I remember eWorld, used that before it was bought out by AOL. This was early 90's maybe 93-94ish, Win95 wasn't out yet. Mac OS looked way better than Win 3.xx. I remember playing Oregon trail, some Star Wars game.... Downloading a song took for ever. First modem I had was 7.2k or 9.6k, then I upgraded to 14.4k,then 28.8, finally made the jump to 56k, never got 33.6k.

Any idea what OS i was probably using back then?

9. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Wasn't on a mac back in the day however I do remember burning a cd took forever on my external 1x burner. I remember I paid something outragous for it. Downloading a song on napster took all night.

10. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

kidpix, oregon trail, and that damn mavis beacon teaches typing.

our school had a mac with a camera that they had on loan from the local public school. it was like like a ball in a cradle and had to be something like .001 megapixels

we had oregon trail linked on a lan so that we could all join up...usually we would just elect to kick some people out and then drown the cattle

oh yeah, we had a 9600 baud modem that would dial up to the library...they even had a librarian there once to tell us how exciting it was that you could now look to see if a book was available. all in ascii text and command line

11. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

I used them Grade 1 (IIe) to Grade 8 (Macintosh), and never used them for another 10 years until I started working for Applecare. Always wanted to, but were too rich for my blood.

12. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

13. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

7.1 was when I started.

14. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

dot. oh and aqua blooper piper.. and glider!!

15. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

my boss still installs norton shit on the computers for his crew...
    makes no sense to me :rofl:

16. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Most likely OS 7 around that time. Had a short lived eWorld account. Had AOL back in about '90 when it was basically just a BBS. Before that it was all BBS accounts for me. 300 baud modem was pimpin'. 9.6k came and everyone said "Why would you ever need anything faster? You can't type that fast anyways." :rofl:

My first CD burner was the 2nd USB one on the market to use with my bondi iMac. Think cost me like $499 at the time. :wtc:

Hell yeah, ResEdit'ed everything too. CanOpener was great too.

Glider ruled! How about Shufflepuck Cafe? I was searching for Slick Willie the other day. I really miss that game (move Bill Clintons head around to eat cheese burgers, 1/2 naked girls, etc while avoiding Hillary and Monica).

17. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

My first home computer, bought in 1994:

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]

$2,200 after tax from Future Shop (10 points if anyone remembers that place, and another 10 for what it was replaced by). OS 7.5, 250MB drive, 50 MHz PowerPC CPU, a CD-ROM, and a modem! Anyone remember Spectre Challenger and Wacky Jacks? I was a huge fan of Flying Toasters.

This setup was one resilient SOB for its time. The printer was still running like a champ when we got rid of it in 1997.

18. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Spectre Challenger was great. Played it all the time. Wacky Jacks I wasn't a huge fan of. Pretty pimpin' machine back then.

Funny to see what all the young hackers back then have grown into. I still keep in touch with many of the guys that ran the sites listed in my 1st post. All have gone legit and are doing pretty good for themselves.

19. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

haha I remember Number Munchers, Word Munchers, The Writing Center (with it's gay startup music) , ClarisWorks. I remember turning on and off extensions and breaking my computer. Anyone ever use AtEase? My mom got her first Mac, which was the same one as Laserbreak's computer but she had the upgraded 1.3 gb hard drive and 32 mb of ram. She also had this ultra compact black printer, and with a student discount, it all came out to a little over $4000. I remember back in those days when I wished I had a PC because they had some weird looking port called "USB" and my Mac didn't have it. My Mac didn't even have FireWire at the time. wow, this brings me back...

20. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

back in those days when CD-Rom drives were SCSI, not even IDE

21. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

oregon trail :bowdown:

22. a-money

a-money OT Supporter

isnt future shop best buy owned? its the stores they have in cali and in canada, am i correct?

claris works :bowdown:

23. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Use to bypass AtEase using DisEase or AtPeace. School had OnGuard which was easy to bypass too using a hack.

Yup, my Sony burner had a SCSI to USB cable.

24. k2737

k2737 Active Member

Last time I visited the 'rents I fired up my old mac. :cool:

[​IMG]

Color Vette! :bowdown:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always thought it was a bad ass computer. :rofl:

25. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Fuck yes! Nothing like hitting 2 dimensional people then running from the cops. I loved how you could pick and excuse as to why you were speeding and sometimes they'd let you off with a warning. "My wife is having a baby." "I really have to goto the bathroom." :bowdown:

I loved Hellcat Over the Pacific too.

[​IMG]