Old ride, new ride:

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Subie Driver, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Old ride, 2005 Piaggio BV200 scooter (200cc), sold this last weekend for $2200:

[​IMG]

New ride, 1984 Honda Magna V65 (1100cc), just picked it up yesterday for $2500:

[​IMG]

And here's a couple close-ups of the custom paint and hand-painted pin striping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Naughty! Anyways, I'm happy, I finally have a ride with some legs for long-distance cruising. Not a bad upgrade for $300 out of pocket!

2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Now you can go on the fwy. lol

3. Subie Driver

Actually, the scooter could go on the freeway, had a top speed of a touch over 80, but I had to flog it at redline just to keep up with traffic, not a good thing for long rides. Not an issue anymore!

4. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

fucking :rofl: on the pinstriping

nice upgrade though

5. Drewski

Drewski New Member

those things are evil, and not in a good way. I had to help my buddy put the carb on one a few years back and it was the biggest pain ever. Took over an hour and we need tie-downs and both of us to get it seated properly

6. Subie Driver

Luckily, if I remember right, he said the carbs on this one were rebuilt within the last year. I don't mind getting my hands dirty, anyways (otherwise I wouldn't have bought a 24 year old bike), and it's not my only form of transportation, so I'll live, I hope.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

it's legal to ride a scooter on the freeway?

nice magna, I've always like them.

8. i64X

i64X New Member

It's legal in MI so long as they're 125ccs and up. Laws vary by state.

My brother had the little version of that bike... It was like 500 or 550 or something V35 Magna. It was a fun bike. :)

9. Subie Driver

Yup, my scoot was highway-legal, but it just wasn't good enough for more than shorter jaunts.

But took the Magna out for my first ride on it today, had a great time!.. until I dropped it :noes: My first time down ever, but I was wearing all my gear, so all I have is a couple small bruises. I was turning right from a stop, and either gave it a little too much gas and clutch (still getting used to a manual and this thing has about 90 more wheel hp than the scooter did), or I slipped on the paint strip for the stop sign, or probably both, but I took off to go around the corner, and the back tire just came around and it went down :wtc: Luckily, I barely got hurt, and the bike didn't take much damage, just some scrapes on the crash bar and muffler, and the foot peg, front blinker, and windshield need replacing, but the seat, engine, and paint are untouched, so it's really just cosmetic stuff. Anyways, hopefully I have my only drop out of the way. But anyways, the rest of the ride was great, and I'm not going to stop riding because of the drop, and i should be able to fix the majority of the damage for under $200, so I'll live.

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I love V4s and the Magna/Sabre was THE muscle bike of the early 80's. (even though they have less horsepower than today's 600cc sportbikes).

The one thing you have to remember (and you apparently found it out the hard way, sorry I didn't see this thread sooner) is that the V65 has good low end torque.

I've been looking for a magna or sabre to restore for awhile but the damn things are cult classics. Even a thrashed one is $2000.

11. Subie Driver

Yeah, that low-end torque is crazy. And it wouldn't have mattered if you had seen this thread earlier, as I went for that fateful ride just after I posted up the pics, you only have about a three hour window there. But I should be able to fix the major damage for under $200 (already have the new footpeg coming), and I'm not hurt (except the bruises on my elbow and ego), so it was a cheap lesson that I'll remember, especially when I see the scuffed up exhaust can.

And, wow, you can't find a thrashed one for for under $2k? Where do you live? If I ever decide to sell mine, I'm heading out to your area! Mine was in great shape, and it only cost me $2500, even with the added-on stuff.

On a side note, I had my handheld GPS (Garmin eTrax Legend HCx) mounted on the handlebar during the ride, so I even have a GPS trace of the drop and where we moved it off the road:
    [​IMG]

That's where I took the exit (moving top to bottom in that pic), then turned right, and that little Z is where it went down, then we picked it up and rolled it over to the side of the road.