GUN old powder question?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copiertalk, Jun 3, 2007.

1. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

where or who do I contact to dispose of it? I have a couple pounds that do to age I need to get rid of but I do not want the local kids to get ahold of it. Who do I contact to dispose of it properly?

2. striker754

striker754 Chillin

spread it in lawn

3. copiertalk

Eloborate? is that good for the lawn?

I have probably five pounds and alot of old primers as well?

4. striker754

striker754 Chillin

ya its fine for the lawn.

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

why do you need to get rid of it? powder doesn't really go bad....after all, I shoot 56 year old ammo just fine :dunno:

6. copiertalk

It has been sitting in the gun safe opened for 3+ years. If it was sealed I would want to keep it but it has been opened and I do not trust the powder or primers.

I was reloading for several years and stopped, that is why I have several pounds. different kinds and what not. If any one lives near me they can come and pick it up.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

spell out your name on the ground, light it and a time lapsed pic at night :coold:

8. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Seriously. Pour it out in your driveway and make a little path off to the side so you can light it. As long as it's out in the open it's not going to explode; it'll just burn really bright for 3-5 seconds. It's cool as hell. :coold:

9. copiertalk

the fire house is 4 blocks away, I think they would notice.

10. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Take it to your friend's house then. :dunno:

Wait. Four blocks??? :uh: Maybe if they were four doors down. Do it in the early evening or something. You're making this out to be a much bigger deal than it really is. It's not going to be a huge explosion or even a big flame. Just a *bright* flame that burns for a handful of seconds. Nothing cosmic. Neither is it loud. Just makes a pfffsht noise that's about as loud as a car idling in the driveway.

Edit: I've never burned off four pounds of the stuff before though. I've done ONE pound a few times. Probably not much difference; the four pound pile would probably just be a little brighter and take 25% longer to burn. :dunno:

Edit 2: It does leave a mark in your driveway though. You could probably put it in an empty pizza box though, and then throw some water on the box when the powder is done burning to extinguish the cardboard.

11. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

depending on where you shoot, you might be able to dispose of it there if nobody is around. Go to a surplus store and get some fuse to light it. About half a baby food jar of powder can cause a flame 3 feet highish. If you have some incendiaries or tracers you could always try shooting at it:dunno:.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

what I have done to dispose of powder (on duds and the like), is put a piece of cardboard down, put the powder on that, and light it. not very dangerous, since powder is a low explosive that operates by burning, and not a high explosive that operates with a shockwave.

13. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I'd just spread the powder outside on the lawn or something, there's no need to light it like everyone else is saying.

As for the primers, it's really hard to make them inert so maybe you should just give them to the firehouse since it's close by, they'd know what to do with them.

14. copiertalk

thanks for the advice. My luck in not that great so I am not going to light it on fire for fear of burning me , my house, or someone else.

15. Hooch

Hooch New Member

get a nice big pipe at Ace Hardware and some cannon fuse then dispose of properly in the nearest J-John.

16. copiertalk

I think I would rather not get arrested for the manufacture of an explosive device. The last time I was in jail it sucked and I do not think I want to go back at this time.

17. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Oh come on, with all this bullshit talk of "terrorists" plotting to blow up Amerikkka by our government, you can't even have any fun anymore like back when I was a kid. It's bullshit.

18. copiertalk

It is bullshit, but when you stop and consider what some stupid kids pull these days you can see why they would not want people to make pipe bombs.

19. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Boy, I can remember pipe bomb flathead fishing when I was a kid, we had those terroristic catfish on the run back then.

20. copiertalk

I remember taking my .22 to school so I could go with the boy scouts afterwords and practice marksmanship. Times have changed.

21. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Yup this country has gone to shit and turned everyone into pussies. Haha, kids where helmets on their bicycles now when they go for a ride around the block. Can you imagine how bad you would have had your ass kicked for riding your bike to school with a helmet on in the 80s?

22. copiertalk

Its the society we live in today. no one can stand on their own two feet. They need the government to tell them how to stand. It is sad really. I was taught some valuable lessons by the school of hard knocks. When you fall off your bike and hurt your head, you learn pretty quick not to fall off.