Old old old paint... Does it have a chance?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Error, May 31, 2005.

1. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

I'm picking up a 1974 BMW 2002 that's mechanically excellent, interior is superb, body is straight, paint is faded to fuck and back. I'm not gonna paint it right away, so what would you guys recommend to even attempt to restore some sort of shine to this 31 year old paint?

It doesn't have to be eat-off-it shiny like my truck, I just want it to look "better". I have the good 6" PC and a full set of cutting/polishing/buffing pads. What's the best stuff I can get over-the-counter to give this paint some sort of credibility while I save up to spray it?

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Do a search on http://meguiarsonline.com and see if you can find the write-up Mike Phillips did on a black BMW with similarly oxidized paint. Wet sanding was involved but it turned out amazing.

Just FYI, when paint is that oxidized, you need to do some polishing before claying so the dead paint doesn't clog the clay bar.

3. Error

Thanks Scott. I wouldn't even think of claying this thing until the paint is in much much better shape. It's rough to the touch.

I'll keep posted on how it goes. I gotta buy it first :x:

4. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

About claying oxidized paint, now I'm no expert on claying oxidized paint but I would imagine that if you polish first that would level the contamination to the level of the paint and it would I imagine be hard to lift the contamination out? If you clay first like Scott said you would clog the clay bar.

What I have done in the past is use 3m car wash and a wool wash mitt with mild pressure to get rid of most of the oxidized paint, 3m car wash is a heavy duty car soap. And clay afterwards I had good results doing these without the clay being clogged up.

My question is can clay take off the contamination after you have polished?

The BMW doesn't look that oxidized to me, I would give it a wash using pressure to remove the most of the lose oxidization then clay, polish. Once you use a fine polish/cleaner that will avail the scratches, if it has a lot of scratches use a cutting pad and a med. cut compound or a fine polish /w cutting pad. If you wet sand be real gentle on sanding edges.

5. Error

Thanks guys. This'll definitely top my list of extreme makeovers. I'll take pictures as I go.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Clay will remove contamination after polishing. I've done it on numerous occasions.

7. Error

Saw the car last night in person finally. The hood is going to have to go to bare metal and be primed and painted, the rest is mostly salvageable (at least for an extreme makeover attempt), but will eventually need repainting.

The interior is surprisingly clean. A healthy dose of Leatherique on everything should soften up the leather.

The owner is trying to get it running. He claimed it would but it wasn't getting any spark. Looks like the plug wires were toast.

Gives me an excuse to drop my bid :x:

8. Error

Oh, also, the rims will need some heavy duty cleaning. I was thinking SimpleGreen since it's always worked in the past, followed by a good sealing.