Old Man Emu Lift Kits.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Feb 27, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

I saw an ad saying that they tailer make lifts to your vehicle and your application.

Who knows anything about OME lifts?

2. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

Their shocks are AWESOME! :bigthumb:

3. TriShield

Nobody else?

I'm looking for a good spring lift for a Jeep, not too much lift, but enough to fit 33s or so.

4. depending on the jeep, to fit 33s, you're gonna need minimum 5" and lotso hackin' to make them fit "properly". properly being the operative word there...

i've got a grand with 4.5" and 32s on stock wheels... no rubbing at full stuff. but then again, my 32s run kinda small.

it just all depends on what you've got and what you want to run... but to answer your original question... :)

i don't have any experience with OME stuff on jeeps other than their shocks(which seem to be a-ok) but i've had friends with land rovers that ran full OME kits and they were quite pleased. take that for what it's worth.

5. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

Maybe I missed when he said what kinda Jeep it is, but fitting 33's on a Grand, and fitting 33's on a YJ are 2 completely different things! Sure, on a ZJ you need a good 5" of lift and some trimming (depending on tire width), but on a YJ all you have to do is a SOA conversion. I fit 33's on my Cherokee (XJ) w/ 4.5" of lift and very minor trimming.

So, TriShield... what kinda Jeep? And why do you need a lift "Tailored to your Jeep?" A kit made for your model/year will fit just as nice as one "made especially for your Jeep" (if there's even difference.) :wiggle:

6. nope, you didn't, and neither did i. that's why i said, "depending on the jeep".

agreed. two completely different beasts.

7. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

oh yeah... and pics of the WJ/ZJ? :big grin:

8. TriShield

Well, it's a 1987 SJ (Grand Wagoneer) with 31s and the stock Dana 44s. It only has a leaf spring suspension, nothing fancy.

As far as I know it doesn't require any fender hacking and only 4 inches of lift to fit 33s. Perhaps a body lift, but I know I'm not going to hack the fenders.

Any good lifts and shocks suggestions?

9. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

OK, that helps... well, my first suggestion is to scap it and send me the axels cuz I need something to put my new ARBs in :big grin: but if you insist on keeping it... first do a SOA (Spring Over Axel) Conversion. It'll give you a about 3 inches w/ the 44s and it's CHEAP! Any shop that could do your lift could do the conversion if you don't wanna. If you do wanna do it yourself, you just need some basic welding skills, a grinder, a welder, and some new leaf spring perches. You should be able to fit 33's on w/ just that. You could always get new springs or an AAL (ad a leaf), but I'm sure those '87 springs flex like a dream! If you still have trouble with rubbing, throw in a inch of body lift and you should be set! As far as shocks... you could go with the OME ones (I'd still be running them if they made long enough ones), or maybe some Rancho RS9000s. Those are adjustable, so you could set it to ride how you want it to. Hope this helps!

PS - Pics of the Waggy? :big grin:

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Guest

If I remember correctly from my old jeep days, OME or AWSOME, but EXPENSIVE! You get what you pay for though.

11. m3s3lf

m3s3lf *Jeep Crew*

Anti wrap perches and no gears :bigthumb:

12. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

I have an OME lift on my Landcruiser and it rides perfectly. It's a 3 inch kit and it makes the cruiser feel like a beast

[​IMG]

13. TriShield

I agree, I don't think spring overs would be a good idea on a very heavy street vehicle.

If you want a set of D44s, dead SJs are easy to find in junkyards.