old junk pc crew

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crontab, Apr 20, 2007.

1. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

what do you do with your old pc's? the 200 Mhz pentiums, 233 mx, pII's, cyrix, amd's, etc.

I am using a few to play and test stuff. They are not that old and can still perform quite well, but have some just collecting dust taking up space. pretty sure nobody will want them so i can't donate them. plus i don't have any OS' to give away with them either.

i can bring them to work and throw it in our hardware dumpster... but i seem to be a pc/pc parts junk hound.

what do you do.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I keep most of them for parts. Working older parts can be worth lots of $$$ and are invaluable for diag on older hardware.

I also use some of them for development work. I have an older P3 550MHz running Gentoo and a MySQL database. It may not be up to a big eComm app, but it's perfect for the light-duty rigors of serving my app while in development.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

yea, a pIII 55Mhz proc will be worth a lot because it's one of a kind. not even intel has one of those.

yeah, i'm making use of my thunderbird and pIII systems, but my old ass systems with soft modems and 4 isa slots, 10 mbit nic, edo ram, etc. are slower than my vm's.

not even worth to make an appliance out of it....

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

There are a couple of local places out here in phx that accept pc "donations". That really old ass stuff I see no reason to keep around, at least for me.

5. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i looked up the pc donations here and they all have a minimum.... some place the minimum is better than my faster pc at home! heh....

rich yenta neighborhood ftl.

but the thing is, i have no OS' to "donate". only some win95 and win98 cd's. nobody wants that. and i'm not puttin glinux on these for them to come back to me.

will see what there is further out from me....

6. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

firearm target practice

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I take computers like this, get them working, put a copy of W2K on them and give them away.
    My wife works for a non-profit. They purchase houses and split the houses into apartments. They then rent these apartments to people with mental illnesses that have been homeless and are on medication.
    Generally these people have little ability to hold jobs. They live off of SS and the like.
    I take computers like what you are describing, get them working and set these people up with them.
    Mostly these people want to surf the internet and not do much more. These computers do well with that.

Since I am pimpin my cause.

I am looking for something special and anyone that can help me out, it would be great.
    These people are mostly in there 20's and early 30's. They LOVE videogames. I have a fairly powerful AGP videocard that I have been holding onto. It is one of my old videocards. It was top of the line when I bought it like 2 years ago.

I want to build a PC for these people that has at least a gig processor in it, drop this videocard in it, set the PC up in the common room and load up decent games for these people (World of Warcraft 3, UT2K4, KTOR, etc.).

Thing is - I am asking for a system that is more powerful then anything I ever see in donations.
    If ANYONE has something they can spare that can help me out with this please email me or let me know.
    I can't pay you, but I can assure you the cause is good and the parts will get a lot more use then they are probably otherwise getting (I am guessing in your basement or in a box).

Thanks.

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

where do you get all the copies of win2k legally.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

typo... meant 550MHz. Has 256MB RAM. Makes a fine database server.

those would not be worth it, no.

10. RiSk

RiSk New Member

I use one to run my Apache test server, an old 1ghz with 256 of ram. I run a 733 as my firewall (Gentoo/Firestarter), and I run a 1.2ghz with 512mb of ram for my Samba server

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My family's first PC, a 25MHz 486, sits in a corner of the basement in my mother's house. My mom's old laptop, a 233MHz Cyrix, sits underneath the workshop bench in my father's garage. My first computer, a 16MHz 286, got thrown away years ago. One of our two old eMachines got donated to charity, and the other was given to my uncle who's never owned a computer before. (He likes it a lot.) The parts from my current computer that I don't use anymore have been reassembled into computers for my father and brother.

Currently, my mother has a desktop and a tablet PC, my brother has a desktop, my father has two desktops, I have a desktop, and there's a "spare" desktop that gets used when one of the other computers is having problems.

12. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

I throw my old hardware away

I don't have space for them, and have enough computers at home that are beefy to keep me happy

13. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

If you ever need some LEGIT win2k keys, i have a few dozen at the office that will never be used.

14. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I will level with you.
    You can think what you will.

There is NO money for this project. Zero dollars.
    ALL of it is my doing.
    These people cannot afford there own computers. Not in any way shape or form can they afford a computer.

I completly understand the legalities of what I am doing. But at the end of the day the benefit to these people is quite something.

If it would make you feel better....
    I am beginning a new project. I am going to do some experiments with UBUNTU (bad spelling?) at home.
    I have never played with any flavor of Linux.
    If I find a way to set this up so that these people can make use of it I will stop installing W2K and start installing Linux.

Truthfully, I am not going to get my hopes up for the Ubuntu install. It is going to have to be awfully similar to W2K to make it worth installing. I have no time to teach these people how to use a new OS. I am lucky that they can use W2K as it is.

But hey, if you want to take all these machines from these people, if you want all this old hardware to go in a dump instead of in these peoples rooms... then I will stop using my W2K disc.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I use Kubuntu Linux on my spare laptop. It's fantastic for basic computer use. You even install the OS from within a fully-functional copy of the OS booted off the CD, so if you're having trouble getting the install to work, you can pop open the browser and figure out how to fix it. It's at least as good as Win2K, though it doesn't support games very well. For the gaming machine you want to make, you'll have to use Windows; for everything else, Kubuntu is just as good.

(for the record, Kubuntu is Ubuntu with a different desktop, one that more closely emulates the way Windows is laid-out.)

EDIT: Another version of Linux called Linspire comes with a program called CNR that makes it easy to buy, download, and install Linux apps without having to worry about how the installation needs to be done or where apps can be purchased. I much prefer Kubuntu to Linspire, but soon it won't matter because Linspire is going to make their CNR program available to almost every other version of Linux. So the system is continuing to improve.

16. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have several < 1ghz sitting in my room. they work decently as torrent downloaders/file servers

17. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Dude, go download the new Ubuntu CD image, boot it up, and see for yourself... if the most the people are doing is websurfing, and some light wordprocessing, its EXTREMELY intuitive! I have just started playing around with Ubuntu on my laptop, and i think it would suite your needs perfectly. It is not THAT far off from how windows functions that anyone, even mentally ill people, can grasp.

On another note, where are you located?

18. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

No, no need to justify your means to me. I am not a anti-piracy zealot, I don't care. Just wondering if had source of unused legit keys to be recycled.

Are you responsible for supporting the donated machines afterwards? If so, linux can be setup to be very gui-user friendly. Similar enough to windows. Build it, dump it, and forget it. But if you have to support it, with no linux/unix experience, it is highly not recommended.

19. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Throw away, you only keep on having trouble from it.

20. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Every computer I've ever had has become a hand-me-down. My mom got my old Gateway Solo laptop, my dad got my old Dell Dimension. My sister got an old AMD Duron custom built business system I picked up cheap. Since then, my mom and my sister have both gotten new Dells. As long as my old Dell will work for my dad (email, car newsgroups, ebay, spider solitaire and light AUTOCAD), he won't move up.