Old Jettas..

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TheHeadGuy, May 28, 2005.

1. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

how reliable are old jettas? i heard not to buy a specific year from the 90s but i heard the earlier 90s and late 80s are actually ok.. any feedback?

2. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

anyone?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

maintenance nightmeres... Anything electric can and WILL break on them.

4. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

even the ones in the late 80s?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dunno about the 80's... I know they were crap in the 90's... I vaguely remember them always being unreliable, however.

6. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

being from oregon, i'd assume you knew at least something about old vw's :rolleyes: . mk2 vw's are pretty solid cars (as far as european cars go anyway lol). there's actually very little electronics in them, so i guess not much can go wrong in that regard :p . i had a '91 16v jetta that i daily'd for 5 years without much trouble at all, especially considering the age. i bought it at 103K and sold it at 174K.

at any rate, a car that old is only going to be as reliable as its maintenance records. if you found a solid one, the main things you might look for is a 2nd gear grind and frozen rear calipers. i usually don't hear too many complaints about the central locking system failing, though i did replace the trunk switch once. 16V cars need replacing of the timing belt and tensioner every 45K to be safe, if it breaks you'll replace the engine. also, the distributors sometimes leak oil and the brake balancer switch tends to rust up (underneath the car)

the 90-92 8V cars used a digifant fuel injection system which was by no means stellar but defnitely less finicky than the old CIS system. either way the 8V is a very simple engine in both design and maintenance so its terribly easy to keep one on hte road.

7. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

its a 88 with just under 100k on it.. i think it should be good considering the owner takes it 50 miles a day to school AND back.

8. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

88 would be a CIS car. i'm assuming its an 8v engine? if everything checks out ok, i wouldnt hesitate to buy it if its right for you. just check the usual stuffs, like i mentioned check the e-brake, if it doesnt work that means the rear calipers are froze (actually this one might even have drums) and check to see if the 2nd gear grinds. check the area near the bottom of the windshield for rust, as well as the inside of the doors. look for oil and trans leaks, now and again the trans gets a leak at the pinion seals (where the axles come out of the trans). also make sure the tie rods and ball joints are in good shape and the cv boots are not ripped.

good luck! lets see some pics of it!

9. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

your a vw fan huh? its a pos.. i just need it to run.

10. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

lol whatever floats your boat then. i like the old ones, not so fond of the new ones. i drive a wrx now if you were wondering

11. TheHeadGuy

TheHeadGuy Guest

yea.. kind of like it because it has the same style as old school beamers. know any good VW or jetta fan websites? i might be fixing it up.. just some mesh rims, front bumper, tint, and those round headlights.

12. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member