Old Corvette Paint question

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Ballast, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

Have any of you guys detailed a 1970's vette?? My boss has one, and mentioned that the paint is some king of acrylic based lacquer. He's been told that it needs to have a special protectant applied to it (by some of the corvette club guys).

The guy in to cubicle beside me just bought a fully restored 1976. He's picking it up tomorrow, and has asked me if I could detail it for him (he has lent me many many powertools, and I consider this to be a very fair exchange). I haven't seen the paint yet to see how much work it needs (it's never even been driven in rain, so I'm assuming he babied the car well).

Is this just something I could take SFP / VM / EX-P to, or should we be looking at some Klasse AIO and SG?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Either combo will work fine. I've never heard that you *need* any special polishes or waxes for laquers.

3. perry

perry burp

Corvette club guys, huh? Ask him if the special protectant begins with a "Z" :rofl: :o

4. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

what he was talking about sounded more like a spray on type thing. it completely boggled my mind. sounded more like spraying on another layer a laquer.