Old Compaq on Windows 98 question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hairy Gorilla, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

My parents gave me their old Compaq presario that is running windows 98. It is like 450mhz and 256mb ram. I am planning on using this system to sit on my bar top and play music at parties/during the day, etc. I am just going to have a stereo hooked up to the speaker outputs. My questions is, the computer only has around a 10gig harddrive, and the thing only has about 6.6 gigs free. I have deleted everything I can think of, and then some, and it still seems to be eating up a lot of memory. Is it possible to do a clean sweep of the harddrive, without the actual windows disk?(I have no idea where the cdrom is) If not, any other ideas on how to clean this computer up and get it moving a little faster. (i'm sure it is loaded with spyware/possible virus', etc)

Thanks a ton

2. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I would nuke and pave, preferably with something better than 98, but either way.

You can wipe it clean without a CD, but you may have a hard time reinstalling the OS. :hs:

As for cleaning it out, you can download and run all the usual tools - Adaware, Spybot, AVG, etc. But even aside from that, you still have an old crufty Win98 installation which is probably going to have weird issues.

3. monster_rancher

monster_rancher OT Supporter

often windows 98 has a full copy of the install files in \windows\options\cabs

if you see a setup.exe in that folder and there are about 130 meg of other files in it, you should be ok.

first thing is lets get into dos, boot into safemode command prompt only.

now lets copy some files. if there is a * then type what is after it.

*cd \
    *md \install
    *md \install\win98
    *copy \windows\options\cabs\*.* \install\win98

now lets copy 1 more file.
    *copy \windows\command\attrib.exe \install

now lets hide the \windows and \progra~1 folders, but before we do that lets rename them.

*ren \progra~1 \p1
    *ren \windows \w1
    *\install\attrib \p1 +h
    *\install\attrib \w1 +h

we have moved and hiden the windows and program files folders, this is so if the install dose not work, we can undo everything and it will be like nothing happend, allso if it dose work there is no chance to run any virus's you may have in the folders.

now we will try and install windows

*cd\install\win98
    *setup /is

good luck, p.s.

if it dose not work, do this.

*cd\
    *ren windows w2
    this may give you an error, if the install did not even start it will cuz there will be no windows folder, no matter.
    *ren progra~1 p2
    same this as before maybe an error or not.
    *\install\attrib w1 -h
    *\install\attrib p1 -h
    *ren w1 windows
    *ren p1 progra~1

i love windows 98, it just works most of the time, good luck.

4. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

thanks monster. I'll try that this afternoon when I get some free time. The only reason I want to keep 98 is because the computer itself is pretty slow and i'm afraid XP will take up too much memory. Probably more harddrive space too. Anyways, I'll let you know how it goes...

5. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

I'm having some problems. I found all of those files in the cabs folder, but then I went to the command prompt and tried to enter the first few lines. It screws up on the 4th one. Saying that file is missing. 0 files copied. am I supposed to type it "copy \windows\options\cabs\*.* \install\win98" ? No quotes obviously. And finally, i tried the middle steps where you had the ren\prog stuff and it said required parameter missing. errr :x:

6. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

damnit, now i'm getting an abundance of errors when i try to load windows......I can't even run in normal mode. Errrr

7. monster_rancher

press f8 when starting the computer

"starting windows 98"

you have about a 1 second window to do it in, pick "safe mode command prompt only"

8. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

yeah i mean that is where i was trying to put in all of your codes. Now if I try to even start it in normal mode from teh f8 menu it gives me these errors. Says files are missing and windows cannot start..

9. MovieMan84

MovieMan84 Here we go

I'm using my gf's old Dell Latitute CP notebook for a similar purpose. It's got a 166 MHz processor with MMX and 64 MB of RAM. I experimented with Linux and Win2k before finally settling on Win98 SE. I popped a Proxim/Orinoco Silver wireless LAN card in it and the computer now sits in my bedroom. I mapped all of my mp3 folders on my desktop as network drives and I can now play any of my 20000+ mp3s from the old laptop through a mixer and out through a small bedroom shelf system.

I'd recommend a clean install of Windows with a reformat - that's likely your best option if you don't mind doing it. If all you need is a Win98SE disc, PM me and I can probably hook you up with something.

10. monster_rancher

C:\>md 123

C:\>copy \windows\*.* \123

i just tested it and it should work.

note: thats just copying things out of windows folder to a folder named 123

11. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Forego the Compaq version of Windows 98 - Install a REAL M$ copy and all will be well.

That has sped up every 1990's era Compaq Presario machine I've serviced to date.

You should try 98lite as well to increase stability, but personally an install of Windows 2000 would do the job better, imo.

www.litepc.com