SRS Old apartment fucking me over.....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Fotenks, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

I got a call from a collections agency saying I owe my apartment $2000.

My lease ended in January. I gave them 30 days notice, signed the papers and all. Moved out on Jan. 27th.

Now, it is freakin' july, and I get a call from collections saying that I never gave 30 days notice, and my lease ended April 23rd :ugh: And they are demanding $2000 in the next 30 days.

This pisses me off to no end. Guy asked me for my address so he could end me information, I was like hell no :ugh: I asked for his fax number. I'm gonna open an efax account, and fax him, then have me send all the info through efax. Cause I'm not letting those faggots know where I live :ugh:

I'm gonna see what I can do when I send my claim to their lawyer. But I highly doubt it will do much.

I'm terribly poor... and incredibly psychotic. I'm the kind of person who wakes up everyday wishing I died in my sleep. This shit better turn in my favor, because I really don't want to have to go down to this management company and hurt anybody, because I have nothing to lose.

Maybe it's too early for this thread, I should wait until I get a response from their after sending my response, but I'm so furious :hs: I needed to vent.

2. RedZ71

RedZ71 Large Marge sent me.

well, do you have your copy of the original lease, that shows your jan31 termination date? i still have every lease ive ever signed in my closet.

3. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

If you've got paperwork to prove you are in the right then it is not an issue.

Some debt collection groups operate as basically a scam. Hit people for money they don't owe.

Do not resort to violence. It will not get you anywhere

4. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

You're in the right, you have nothing to worry about. I know you're feeling like shit and the world is collapsing over nothing, but don't worry, you can still win. I'd suggest getting in contact with your tenant act in your State and see what your rights are. Even if you can show a bank statement with like 1000 bucks taken out or a cheque for the same or about the same every month for 12 months, I'm sure you'll be fine.

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

That's really fucked up. I hope you have a copy of your 30 day notice. If not, make one up, date it, and photocopy it as evidence. Between this and the parking shit, I'm really glad I don't live in AZ. :o

6. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

Just call their bluff... I have a feeling something is not right with this, either.

7. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Whatever you do don't pay. It could be that the next owner of that appartment is some druggie who's refusing to pay.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Exactly HOW did you give them 30 days notice? Was it verbal? Then you need to know the name of the person you talked to. You need to think about when you gave this notice to the person and exactly the circumstances surrounding it. That person should verify it.

If you gave written notice (something which everyone should do because it's the only true proof) you need to send them a copy of the notice. You would still have to prove that it was delivered to them but a copy of the letter is better than nothing.

The way that I've always handled it is to write it out, make a copy, then send a certified letter with return receipt requested. You need to keep that letter and the return receipt for at least 2 years as I believe that's the statute of limitations on this sort of thing.

If you had all that, all you'd have to do is make copies of it and send it to them and you'd be off the hook.

One other thing to ask is how did they calculate $2,000?

Oh and one other thing, they have your SSN so it's not like you can hide from them and they WILL put a mark on your credit rating and try to fuck your credit over.....all in the attempt to put pressure on you to pay up. Keep in mind, you're dealing with lawyers at the collections agency and these people are pros. They deal with this shit everyday and they know all the loopholes.

Look just don't ignore this, follow up and make sure you try to stay calm thoughout the process. There's no reason to resort to violence....that will turn this from a simple misunderstanding into a crime.

9. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

From my experience most collection agencies are scams. One try to shake me down saying I owed $1,500 in medical bills. I called my insurance company and they told me they took care of everything and that the doctor's office was just trying to get more money out of me. (Doctor was billing the Insurance company AND me for the same exact thing).

10. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

11. Bacardi 151

Bacardi 151 New Member

This is true. Always keep a copy of every document when renting or buying something. Keep a copy of the lease, keep a copy of the written 30 day notice, and keep a copy of the final release terms when you move out.

If you don't have a copy of the 30 day notice, do you at least have a copy of the lease agreement and final paperwork? It might help you to figure out what you can do. You basically need to establish that you 1) followed all the rules 2) a timeline of events

That way if they still try to fuck you over you can threaten a counter lawsuit and if the debt collector fucks up, a lawsuit for them for breaking the law (if it is a scam, this is where they would probably say fuck it and stop trying to collect the debt). It's a 1000 dollars per incident of them breaking the law. :noes: