old 5.4l diesel K5 Blazer...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jrmy, Nov 21, 2003.

1. jrmy

jrmy Guest

my dad has one sitting in the back yard "rusting" (sitting there b/c it has a cracked engine block or something like that...) i was wondering if it wouls be worth fixing up for a good 4x4 suv?

2. RRTX

RRTX New Member

If you had a different engine to put in it than yes. Those diesels suck :ugh:

3. cdemdec26

cdemdec26 Destroy Erase Improve

drop a 350 in it and your good to go :bigthumb:

4. jrmy

jrmy Guest

really?i thought diesels were good for rock crawling and stuff...more torque at lower rpm's? is this right?

5. RRTX

RRTX New Member

diesels yes, chevy diesels that are basically a gas motor with different heads and pistons no.

6. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

K5s absolutely kick ass. Even the diesel (if it was not broken) would be fine as long as you dont expect much from it. Just drop in a 350, lift it, slap on some tires, and you my friend are going to have a blast.

7. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

You have your facts wrong. Not all the diesels in chevys were gas ones with different heads. The 6.2, like the 6.5, is a Detroit diesel built as a diesel. It didn't start out as a gas. They used to make a diesel in the chevy cars and cadillacs I believe. It was a 350 that had been converted, they were crap. The 6.2s just got a bad rap but aren't that bad. They don't have alot of horsepower but have decent torque, Banks also makes a sidewinder turbo kit that boosts them a little more.

8. wickedsprint

wickedsprint Guest