Okay, this is some bullshit...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jan 6, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I had a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT Pro Ultimate, which is an AGP 8x video card with 128MB of RAM and a nifty little heatpipe to carry heat from the front-side heatsink to a radiator on the back. It scored 1600 or so on PCMark05, and it's fairly old, but my brother's video card is even older, so I decided to get a new card and give him my Radeon.

I bought a Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS+HSI, which is also an AGP 8x video card, but it has 256MB of RAM and supposedly doesn't need a heatpipe, because it has just a regular heatsink (though it covers most of the card, so it's not a puny little thing). It scores between 1100 and 1200 on PCMark05.

Let me clarify that a little bit:

A 3-generation-old Radeon (maybe even older) with half the RAM and notorious ATI drivers scored BETTER than a 1-generation-old GeForce with twice as much RAM and efficient nVidia drivers.

I'm sure, at this point, that you can figure out what I'm referring to as "bullshit". My question is, am I doing something wrong, or should I just wait for the next BIOS revision, or did I just get had like Jefferson's slave girl?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

PCMark is not used to bench video cards. 3DMark is.
    PCMark benches mostly the CPU and RAM, as well as the HDD. It does very little with the video card.

When you installed the nVidia card, did you at all completely uninstall the ATI drivers?
    DriverCleanerPro is good for this and it's free.

3. deusexaethera

I used the ATI Software Uninstaller utility, which is supposed to remove every piece of ATI software.

It's not just PCMark that's throwing out shitty numbers. All of my games are lagging now, too -- EXCEPT Eve Online, which is happy as a clam. It's as if I traded slightly better 3D performance for abominable 2D performance. (I play a mix of RTS and sim games, so both 2D and 3D are important to me.)

4. deusexaethera

Okay wolk68k, you've schooled me. I downloaded DriverCleaner Pro and told it to remove all ATI and S3 files it could find, even if I never installed some of the driver sets, and it found a shit-ton of files. I then re-installed ForceWare 93.71 to patch up any broken links that the ATI files might have caused, rebooted, and ran PCMark05 again.

The score was 2280. That's a nice boost from the Radeon 9600 I had (it scored 1680), and it's a damn sight better than the 1150 my new card had been scoring before. In all likelihood, I won't see meaningful gains from further efforts, because my motherboard's AGP 8x slot is probably a pretty significant bottleneck at this point. That DriverCleaner Pro does a damn good job, though, thanks for the tip.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  5. deusexaethera

Nobody cares about my small victory, eh? I guess I'm now just an advisor up in this piece? It's okay, I understand, really I do...

6. soundmaster2.0

soundmaster2.0 Toasted OT Supporter

Why did you go with an agp card? Does ur mobo not have pci-e?

7. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

As far as that bottleneck thing goes, I know for sure that up through at least the 7600gs cards, there isn't any bottlenecking going on that matters.
    A couple of percent at the most.

8. deusexaethera

All I meant was, given that my older system has an AGP 8x port instead of PCI-E 16x, it's pretty likely that in its current configuration the limiting factor for overall graphics throughput is the speed of the AGP port and not the speed of the GPU, at least now that I've got the video drivers working as intended.

soundmaster: one might conclude from my purchase of an AGP card that I do not have a PCI-E slot. You can't get both on the same board, so it's not like I had the option to get one or the other, at least not without throwing away half my system, which I won't do because it still does everything I want it to with no lag.

9. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I understood that. I'm just saying that 8x agp doesn't bottleneck at
    all at least through 7600gs speeds.
    In fact, I can't find it now but I saw a benchmark where the agp was actually a couple of percent faster than pci-express with both running 7600 cards.

10. deusexaethera

REALLY. :eek3: Wow, I guess I really did get myself the best setup I could. I can safely say that EVE Online looks real pretty with 8xS anti-aliasing and 8x anti-isotropic filtering. (What the hell does 8xS mean, anyway? There's also a 2xQ option...very strange.)