Okay, this is infuriating. v. can't access NAS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, May 16, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have a little NAS hard drive. It works perfectly. When I plug it into my office network, it gets an IP address and everything's swell. But when I plug it into my home network, I get nothing.

Well, not nothing. It still gets an IP address and I can still ping it, but I can't access any fileshares and I can't see the web interface. It's gotta be something like my Linksys router is blocking traffic on whatever ports the thing uses (21, 24, 80, 139, 445, 8080, 8091), but damn if I can figure out how. When I use Angry IP scanner, it can see the thing's IP address, but it says all ports are closed. This is driving me nuts.

2. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

you cant even access the web interface? what happen when you try to open the ip of the nas?

3. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

What model is it?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It's not the Linksys NSLU2, is it? I have one and had a bunch of problems accessing the web interface, but I was still able to get to it to transfer files though...

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

no chance that your local PC is blocking the NAS with a firewall or something, right?

6. deusexaethera

1. I shut off my computer's firewall and the router's firewall. Not the smartest idea, but it didn't make any difference.

2. The NAS enclosure is made by ADS Tech; it's the only NAS enclosure I've seen with a built-in Web server and BitTorrent client. It's a discontinued item now.

3. The router is a WRT54GC (i.e. the compact version of a regular WRT54G). It was easy to configure, except for this.

4. When I go to the NAS enclosure's IP in Firefox, it tells me it looks like a valid web address, but it couldn't establish a connection. This happens instantly, there's no waiting and trying to load anything.

7. deusexaethera

Nothing, huh?

8. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

your house was clearly erected over an ancient indian burial ground.

burial ground for fail and aids

9. deusexaethera

:rofl:

The weird thing is, back when I was borrowing the neighbor's wireless, I used this router as just a switch so I could plug my computer and the NAS drive into it and play around with the NAS drive. It worked fine then.

(sigh) Life is good so long as I know I can still go on a shooting spree.

10. deusexaethera

Okay, I fixed it. I got rid of that shitty Linksys WRT54G router and installed a solid D-Link DI-514 router. My signal strength also improved.

So much for Linksys being the be-all-end-all of networking equipment.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I know that potroast pisses on every D-Link he sees, but I've got a DI-604 that's been rock solid since the day I plugged it in, around 2 years ago.

12. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

I see you resolved the issue, but these things are pretty cheap anymore. I have this one, which has bittorrent support and functions as a print server.

13. deusexaethera

Yeah, but this one also functions as a web server. No server-side scripting, of course, but a lot can be done with JS and CGI. Anything I'd ever want to do, anyway.