SRS Okay so this is not a drugs/ drinking problem

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AstroGirl, Jul 28, 2005.

1. AstroGirl

AstroGirl If I don't respond it's because I have severe ADD

But I need to quit smoking. Bad. Every time I do I gain weight (hand in mouth thing I guess.) Then I feel fat and think I would rather smoke than be fat :ugh: I know it doesn't make much sense.

I have been smoking for ten years now (I am 22/f) and my chest hurts all the time, running is very difficult for me, I had a lump in my mouth about 1 month ago (it has since gone away but it scared the shit out of me)

But I just can't seem to quit. I know I need to. I have tried the patches (quit for three months then ran out) the losenges (2mg, they make me sick and taste like crap) and the gum (makes me sick too.)

Any suggestions? On how to stop the "hand in mouth" I tried drinking water (which works) and holding a pen in between my fingers when I drive/ etc. But the crazings are ridiculous?!?!?

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yeah, I feel ya on that one. I am quitting yet again (I'm on day 4 right now, and it's been a little easier than previous times.) I guess I'm lucky because I don't mind being fat, and I'm lifting weights too.

My suggestion would be to lift weights, and run just a little if possible, and get involved in a sport. All these things will be much easier if you are not smoking and if you can enjoy them it will be a time when your cravings are gone for a little while. Don't worry about getting big muscles, you won't because you are female (do some reading in the F&N forum on OT).

Use some of the principles of 12-step recovery in your quitting process. Do you have any friends who are ex-smokers? Call them for support when you are having a craving. If you don't have any friends like that, just call your close friends they should support you in your venture to quit. Set a quit date, and stick to it. When that date comes throw away all your lighters and smoking paraphanelia. Accept the fact that you are powerless over cigarettes and may not have even a puff or you will become hooked again. Pray to a Higher Power to remove your cravings. Feel free to hit me up anytime, as of now I'm smoke-free (4 days so far), my AIM is animalholie, and my other contact info is in the Addict/Alcoholic contact list, good luck.

3. AstroGirl

Thank you so much, these are things I didn't think of. I do go to the gym every day, and lift weights and run. SO I will be happy when that gets easier. :hsd: Just for now I am a little :hyper:

4. scifimom

scifimom Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fear and l

I am celebrating 5 years smoke free next month. Congrats to quitters. I used nicotine gum (alot of it) I smoked 1.5 packs a day for 20+ years.The first month was the worst. Now not a day passes that I'm not happy that I quit. Occassionally a brief craving (lasts a second) will hit me. (brain doesn't forget). The patch wasn't obsessive enough to help the cravings.It gets better than what you're feeling, but I know that one puff would lead to a carton- so I don't. Good luck. it's definitely worth the toture you're living now. e-hug

5. AstroGirl

Thank you :) and congradulations. Well I am one day two and the crap is starting to break up in my lungs (making me not really want a cig.) So that is good, and it felt SO good to run at thr gym this morning, I am still a little short of breath but at least I am nto dying! Oh and yesterday I decided to just swallow a losenge, instead of suck on it (tastes like crap) and I threw up... great, lol.

6. scifimom

scifimom Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fear and l

Yuck! It's great getting all the goop out. Wait till ya can taste and smell. You don't even realize yet that you've been missing all kinds of aromatic tasty stuff, and some things that you probably wish you didn't have to smell or taste, too. Do alot of deep breathing- it moves the crap out faster.:)

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Good job, keep it up, I've been playing ball and lifting it's helping incredibly. Keeping hydrated is vital as well. I've only had 2 knarly cravings that I knew would pass.

8. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Bump. Are you still quit Insomniac? I have finished 10 smoke-free days and I am working on Day 11. I was playing basketball and racquetball and I didn't realize how out of shape I am. I'll get stronger, if I stay quit, good luck to you too.

9. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

All of the people that I know that have quit smoking had the greatest success with smoking American Spirits.

According to them it doesn't "taste" as good and they smoke half of it and work their way down to a few puffs and toss the cig.

It's better than cold turkey since it associates bad taste with the cig.

10. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

i don't think that works...
    i have been smoking a minimum of 1 pack of american spirits a day for 6 or 7 years. I love them, and when i smoke chemical cigarrettes they make me sick now.

i think i originally switched to Spirits because i wanted to quit, i don't really remember. it took a couple of tries to get off the regular cigs and get used to the spirits, probably all the chemicals etc. I guess they put some chemicals in cigarrettes that are more addictive than nicotine.

11. try patches + lolipops for the oral fixation.