Okay, so I'm planning on building a home theater enclosure for my IDMAX

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DeeVoc, Feb 21, 2004.

1. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

tips, links, advice? As off now I'm just planning on building it like a normal sealed enclosure, but take some extra steps so it doesn't look like an eyesore in my living room. Ideally I'm gonna try to build the amplifier into the enclosure somehow :dunno:

2. 04

04 Guest

If you are building it for home theater, you will probably want a vented enclosure, unless you need the subwoofer to be rather small. How big can the enclosure be?

What amplifier are you using?

3. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

I am not certain of the T/S parameters of the IDMAX (although I know it's a killer CA driver.) But you would almost certainly be better off using a home theater driver for a home application.

4. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

5. 04

04 Guest

6. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

Yeah, you recomended this one a while back. Idunno, just thinking it might be easier to just buy a ready to go wharfedale sub, then busting my ass to make something that probably won't be as good. Still debating whether it'll be worth it or not.

7. 04

04 Guest

I would HIGHLY suggest building the IDMAX. I heard a wharfdale subwoofer at compusa, and lets just say it took a shit on low frequency effects tracks.

If you build a large enclosure for the IDMAX tuned to around 25hz, you will get ultra loud bass down to around 20hz or so. The output levels would probably be at least 10dB over the Wharfdale subwoofer too. But, the IDMAX would be more expensive by a bit if you don't already have the woofer.

8. DeeVoc

DeeVoc Heh.

yeah, I've already got the woofer. I figure I can sell the JBL 1200.1 that's currently powering it to make up for some of the $$.

9. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

That is not true.

10. 04

04 Guest

Feel free to elaborate. Are you trying to say that you won't get loud bass at all, or just not below tuning?

11. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Why?

12. 04

04 Guest

Did he delete his message or something?

Anyways, no, the IDMAX would work fine in a home or car, a transducer is a transducer, car ones can be used at home and vise versa. The only problems you might run into are running a home driver in a car if the driver is not built ruggedly enough to withstand extreme heat, etc. If you already have the driver, I don't see why its a bad idea. It certainly wouldnt be my first choice if designing a home subwoofer, but that doesnt mean it isnt a good choice if you already have one and it isnt being used.