A&P okay. so i'm finally commiting to buying a new camera. lense input please

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Essence, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Essence

Essence New Member

okay, the more I read this subforum, and many other sites, the more I want to get into photography.

I first started on an old 35mm canon that belonged to my aunt who passed away in 1983 and the camera was purchased around '75. No one in my family knew anything about it or anyone i was acquainted with for that matter. With no manuals, no knowledge and not much on resources at the time, i pulled it out of a box, wiped it down, put some film in it and shot away. It worked fine at first but then it died (probably something as simple as a battery), regaurdless i was never really satisfied with being mediocre with it and having my film developed at a local photo center only to get about half of them back and throwing them out. I was an art major, so i saw this retro camera as a new form of media to produce collages, etc.

I have decided that i want a d90 pretty bad, and have broken down and decided that I will buy it close to thanksgiving because I will have a whole week out of class to experiment and get used to it.

I would like to ask you guys what would be the best all around lens for me to get for it. I would like to be about to capture some of the architecture around me because most of it is nothing short of amazing, antique structures. I'm also a fan of landscapes, but probably not going to be what I will be focused on when I get it. I'm also pretty active though, so closer shots of friends longboarding, snowboarding, MXing, and so on will be what i would do with the camera for the most. Not really looking to do super close ups yet but I could see myself doing something like that when I get more of feel for the camera and the differences in lenses. I would say the closest pictures i will probably be taking will be at least four to five feet away from my focal point. Me being the noob that I am want to get something to start with that will be an all around good lense that i can get used to the the camera and i'm sure i will be buying more later as I better understand what I need which ones for.

I have been told that an 18-200 nikon VR lense would get me pretty much everything I would want to shoot. Its price tag of roughly 700 dollars hasn't detered me from it, but I just want to ask more for some more thoughts before buying it.

I know the d80 is cheaper, but this d90 seems right up my alley. With the newest addition of being able to record short clips, I see this as nothing more than a solid purchase for me. I have decided I really want this hobby to consume most of my free time not to mention i'm constantly on the go, i would really like to capture some of these memories so that one day i can show my kids their dad wasn't lame as hell.:hs:

anyways this post has rambled on too far as is, but in advance, thanks for the input. sorry for so long of a message.

/*cliffs* help me pick a lense for a d90 used by a pretty active guy.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Ken Rockwell doesn't like the D90 because it can't plug directly into your computer as an external HD. I think you should listen to him. :mamoru:

ANYWAY...

Does the camera come w/ a kit lens? If not, the 18-200 VR might be your best option. Its a great lens, but at a price. I know the D300 packages offer the 18-200 w/ the camera... does the D90 do the same thing? :dunno:

3. Girth

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!! LENS!!!

5. Girth

your stuff is being shipped out today. :big grin:

6. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

damn it isaac, you've been stealing my thoughts lately.

The first one was darkness.. haha

7. isaac86hatch

great minds...

8. isaac86hatch

:love:

9. Essence

Essence New Member

Lens or lense whatever, I spelled it right the first time. I kind of had the feeling I would get useful input from more than one or two members and nothing but nit-picking perfectionism from the rest. Thanks for the input girth. So now that you've made it clear the correct spelling of "lens", care to step down from your horse and lend some useful advice?

10. Bloke

Bloke Banned

11. Essence

Essence New Member

That seems to be the most popular package. Its the same setup sold at best buy and other stores like that.What would be the advantage of the 18-105 over the 18-200? Its about a 400 dollar difference between the package with the 18- 105 and buying the camera body and the 18-200 along with it.I've been told it was better as an all around kit but wanted to know how more experienced people felt about the difference between those. Would I regret spending the extra money on it for the type of use I'm going to apply it to?

12. BluSpecs

BluSpecs New Member

a 50mm 1.8 and/or a 35mm 2 are great learning lenses for that camera. You can likely find both used for under $250 or so if cost becomes a factor to you.

check out nikoncafe.com for some other guidance.

13. Essence

Essence New Member

Looks pretty awesome and it would probably be a great one for the 70s camera I inherited, but I doubt it'll work very well with a d90. ;)

14. Bloke

Bloke Banned

no its a old leica mount lens :o

15. Essence

Essence New Member

I went to a nikon forum,not sure if it was that one or not, but I figured I would get ran off by the the elitest for asking too many questions or by using incorrect terminology. I mean, I'm not rich or anything, but if I'm already spending that much on a camera, I want to to make sure that I'm not limited by my starting equipment. just limited by my lack of experience while getting acquainted with the way newer technology than I've used. When I get it, I want to be able to try out all sorts of different kinds of photography and see which ones I enjoy the most and adjust accordingly. I live right across the street from a stadium as well as several other really large buildings I would like to shoot. At the same time I need to be able to catch friends mid flight on a dirt bike and closer up pictures of us longboarding. Do you think those can offer me a well balanced package like that?

16. Essence

Essence New Member

I don't know how my posts are showing up to you guys but it seems that my phone isn't seperating my paragraph breaks. Sorry if that's the case, I'm sure it makes it hard to read them.

17. Spurious

Spurious New Member

Being a mister sandy vagina isn't a very good way to ask for help.

18. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

this made me lol

19. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I would put in another vote for teh 18-200.

It'll be a great way to capture anything you really want to right away. After that you can figure out if you want a wider lens or something with more reach to it.

I would suggest staying away from multiple lenses to start with as it's just something extra to have to carry around (this is in response to the 50mm and 35mm suggestion. while they're good lenses, you get much more range with teh 18-200 at first)

my 2 cents.

20. Essence

Essence New Member

:hs:

i just knew when i posted here that no matter what i said, someone would find something to make me feel stupid. I'm really new to cameras though, and i hate making noobish errors to begin with.

21. Essence

Essence New Member

kinda what i was really thinking. I was thinking that it would be overwhelming to try to figure out which one to use for what at first for me.

you think its a better lens than the 18-105 vr one that it comes bundled with?

the cheapest i can find the body for alone is 950 and the 18-200 is about 650. The package with the 18-105 is about 1250-1300ish. I don't know enough about either lens to determine if it would be worth the difference. I'm leaning towards yes though... Any disadvantages of getting the 200 over the 105?

22. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

50 1.8

Cheap and fun to use. I use it way more than my 35 f/2 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8--shooting on a D70s.

23. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

you man not like the 18-200 after while, it has some limitations, i suggest you buy a used one and sell it after you no longer like it

24. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

the 50 1.8 is a good and cheap choice.

25. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

I wish I could afford an 85 1.8 right now :wtc: