Okay, So Close to Purchasing... Need A Little Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TALLandNcharge, Mar 4, 2008.

1. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

I'm deciding to go with either the MB or MBP. I like the screen size of the MBP but the hardware might be overkill for the stuff I do. But that is neither here or there... I have a different problem.

If I go with MBP, should I get a new 2.4 with my college student discount for 1799.00? Or get the one of clearance (2.2G, 2GB memory, 120GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 memory) for 1499.00?

If I go with MB, should I get a new 2.4 for 1199.00 or a refurb (2.2, White, 1GB memory, 120GB hard drive, 8x SuperDrive) for 999.00?

I want the best bang for my buck and I don't want to pay a premium for something I don't need (multi-touch...). Period.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Make sure you checkout the student developer discount (info is posted in one of the stickys). You could get that 2.4GHz MBP with 200GB drive and 256MB video card for $1599 new with that.

I'd go with the MBP. You won't have to pay more to upgrade the RAM (1GB with Leopard doesn't seem like quite enough), the extra screen space is nice, you get a dedicated video card, and a more solid feeling machine.

3. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

I just checked Apple's refurb site myself....and I don't see anymore of the 1449 MBP's left. They get gobbled up fast so you don't really have much time to think about the refurbs.

That said, it sounds like you don't want to spend a lot so I would get a refurb MB

4. fatass

fatass New Member

The old MBP's are an awesome bargain if you can get one

5. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

What do you need to use it for?

I'd get a macbook refurb for 999.00 unless I needed to use it for editing etc.