Okay, Mac Shack, I really need some help.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by omgwtfbbqryan, Jun 11, 2005.

1. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

Here's my situation: I'll be entering college as a freshman next fall. I was fortunate enough to receieve a scholarship that comes with a free iBook that I will be receiving shortly before school starts. The thing is, the iBook is bottom of the line, which will be fine for web browsing, e-mail, typing papers, etc., but not for any movie editing or DVD burning. The iBook is not technically mine, so I can't sell it and put the money towards a more powerful machine. So, there's pretty much four things that I have thought of doing:

1. Buy a new iMac G5 (which was the plan the whole time before I got the scholarship). I just don't think that I need to shell out $1500 when I already have a computer for the basics, just on sheer principle.

2. Buy a refurbished iMac G5 for around $1000.

3. Buy a used/refurbished eMac that burns DVDs and is a little faster than my iBook. What I don't like about this is that I will have two computers, neither of them will really be all that superior to the other.

4. Buy an external HD, an external DVD burner, and extra RAM for my iBook, and just use that. This seems the most logical right now.

Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I may have overlooked a possibility or something, so I'm willing to hear what everyone has to say.

2. JustSurvive

JustSurvive New Member

I'd go with option #2, they get the same warranty coverage as a brand new one, so you don't have to worry about any problems with it.

3. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

I would also go with #2. This way you'd have a nice, powerful desktop at home for all your needs, but if you want to take your ibook somewhere you'll have a nice little portable computer for that :)

#4 would be a nice option, but the small 12" screen will not be fun to use for video editing.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

1 or 2

use the desktop for big stuff then take the iBook to class

5. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

:werd:, definitely get the AppleCare Protection Plan if you can, especially on G5 systems. I've seen repair costs for G5 systems in the past, and they're not pretty, to say the least.

If nothing else, at least you have something watching your back in case you experience a hardware failure on your Mac.