Okay, I have $10,000 to spend on a home theater system, and i know NOTHING, help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by slfmade, Jun 10, 2003.

1. slfmade

slfmade New Member

okay, i have about 10k to spend on a home theater system(actually not sure how much i have, but im gonna stick with 10k until my dad gives me a definite)

this is what i want, i want a bigscreeen tv, like 50" is the smallest, preferably like 65+ or so, it cant be a projector, then ill need a receiver, speakers, dvd player(like 3 or 5 disc changer would be nice), and then maybe a vcr, for the ghetto ppl that still have those and bring one over

i just want a nice big tv, decent speakers and receiver, it doesnt have to be top notch(and with a 10k budget it wont be for sure, my friend spent like 30k on just his front speakers) just has to get the job done, oh and ill need a sub, like with good bass, to get the vibrations going and stuff

feel free to suggest any additions you think i might need, or would be cool, im redesigning our basement for my dad, and im planning on getting some arcades and stuff, and want a nice tv and shit for it too, but anything else that might be cool is defintely welcome

thanks all

2. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

10k is definitly enough to build a great home theater system. Depending on what you buy, you can also probably buy a nice funature thing to go around the tv and hold your stuff (ie dvd, reciever, cd, dvd's, etc)

a great site to check reviews on products is www.audioreview.com

3. slfmade

slfmade New Member

thanks, ill check that site out

4. ZeroDeeFeX

ZeroDeeFeX OT Supporter

you dont want a rear projector tv or you don't want an actual front projector?

5. slfmade

slfmade New Member

front projection, with a projector and screen and stuff

6. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

I suggest you spend most of that on the TV, don't skimp on the TV. 10K is plenty for a good home theatre system.

7. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

I'm close to $20K and havn't gotten a TV yet, I have three 25" that are doing the job until I can decide/find what I want

For DVD I suggest a big multi-player (Sony 200 or Pioneer 301 -- I think Sony has a 300 also) -- doubles as a CD player and you never have to mess with the discs - (the Pioneer has a single-loader slot for borrowed/rented discs)

As for speakers, I bought a $2K pair a returned them within a week, I didn't hear enough difference between them and a pair of Sharp speakers that I salvaged from a $700 integrated system.
    I've since bought a $1K set but that's for surround sound and the Sharps are still used in another room ("B" speakers)

8. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest