Okay, here's my plan...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Apr 1, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The next time a project manager is in my office, doing software engineering work in the office next to me, without my involvement in any way or fashion, I'm going to do the following:

1. Make a photocopy of my software engineering degree.
    2. Glue that photocopy to a dartboard.
    3. Hang the dartboard on the wall between the offices.
    4. Play music and throw darts at the dartboard from the moment he comes to work to the moment he leaves.

"Man, sure is slow around here."

:thump thump:

"Sure wish I had a software development project to work on."

"Maybe I wouldn't be so bored then."

"Hey Bob, how are those design documents coming? Sucks that you're stuck doing it by yourself, huh?"

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Well you might have done such a good job on the last project that you did that they decided you need a break.

That or you suck.

:mamoru:

3. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

the latter ftw

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

man up you pussy

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you were working for me I'd keep you away from the important stuff, too.

6. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

Wow this is the first thread in this forum where everyone agrees. :bigthumb:

7. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

They have a Software Engineering degree? :eek5:

8. deusexaethera

RIT, MIT, Caltech (I think), and Monmouth all offer it. More schools offer it as a grad-only degree.

9. deusexaethera

If I were working for you, you would want me to gain experience and skill in my chosen profession so you could rely on me to do bigger and better things correctly in the future.

If the following three conditions were met:

1. You knew crap about software engineering;
    2. You knew how bad the DB Admin-turned-project manager running the project was fucking it up, and how many of my suggestions he's figured out for himself after said fuckups;
    3. You heard the software testers and coders all enthusiastically agreeing with me and asking me when I was going to arrange for the PM to have an accident;

...then you would understand my frustration.

EDIT: Add a 4th condition to the list:

4. You knew the COO of my company had sent his right-hand man, an electrical engineer and a rocket scientist (literally), to fix shit, and had heard the customer ask on a conference call if the current PM could be replaced with the right-hand man;

10. deusexaethera

What the hell does that mean? That's such a canned response. I can't do more than tell the VP of my division point-blank that I should be working on the project for this this and this reasons, except quit, and quitting is what I'm arranging.

11. Doc Brown

Good luck to you. I only mingle with the staff on occasion where I work, and it's enough to make me homicidal. Management seems to exist to waste company time and profits.
    I hope you find a place where you feel useful.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've read your posts here. You're an idiot. I couldn't rely on you to handle any of my IT needs.

13. deusexaethera

I used to feel useful here. I helped to stand up the office; I was hired a month after the lease was signed. The IT setup was shit, everything needed fixing, procedures for processing digital map data weren't established and the specialized software needed to be configured to work right, we took on a project from the government that was in sad need of repair...that's all done now. Now I get bits of work on that one project from the government and watch as my suggestions get ignored, then forgotten, then rediscovered but without my name on them, and I handle tech support questions on the side.

I was kinda hoping my position would grow along with the company. Looks like that isn't how it worked out.

14. deusexaethera

Nonetheless, if you were paying me, you would want me to become ever more useful to you.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's a moot point because I wouldn't hire you knowing what I know about you.... and even if you somehow got hired before I knew then you wouldn't have lasted.

There are people that you help grow so that they become more of an asset. You are not one of them. There are others that you simply cut lose and part ways... There we have you.

16. deusexaethera

Jolly, I have told you and everyone else on this forum many times that I am a software engineer, not an IT guy. Yes, as part of my job I plug computers in and install shit on them, and turn off Caps Lock when someone can't get their password to work, but my core competency is engineering. We never talk about engineering problems on this forum, only IT problems, so yeah, since I didn't pay $100,000 to learn the intricate differences between different types of data fiber, or how to tell which motherboard chipset is the best, sometimes my informally-collected IT knowledge is accurate and sometimes it isn't.

However, when it comes to software engineering, I already know more than you ever will, and if you hired me to be your software engineer, I'd be a fantastic asset to your company, and you would want to pay me more just to keep me from jumping to Company X. I am an expert (albeit a young one) in a field that my company needs skilled workers in, yet I get to watch as people who don't know what I know fuck up time and time again. So, you know how you feel when you read something I spouted off, thinking I know my shit when I really don't? Can you imagine how you'd feel if I were screwing shit up at your shop because of that same self-imagined false expertise? That's how I feel right now about my job.

Can I make it any clearer?

17. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Oh deus, it's like you're setting yourself up on purpose. Jolly's problem is that you try to fix shit you don't understand. It's perfectly acceptable to just ignore a thread if you're not sure or have a solid background in. The lack of restraint to hurl suggestions is why Jolly has such a hate for you.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing - and to Jolly, and annoying thing.

BTW, I really don't care one way or another, Jolly's hate for you is rather silly since it is afterall, "Internet, serious bidness"

18. Doc Brown

All the haters in this thread are full of shit. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Hey Jolly, remember telling the guy his 4gb SD card was dead?

You even finished that bit of brilliance with a self absorbed "/thread".

Well dumbass me, I told him to try killdisk and guess what. It worked.

No one is right all the time here. I catch everyone in mistakes.

People come in these threads and half the time they don't tell us nearly enough to go on.
    So it's next to impossible to not make a wrong guess sometimes, based on what you think is going on.

The real difference comes in the amount of posters who think they're all that, and the ones who know better.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

99% of the time it's not.

And I wouldn't hire you as a "software engineer".

20. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

[​IMG]

21. Doc Brown

:bowdown:

[​IMG]