ok wtf torrents..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by babygodzilla, Apr 22, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

many times i would get a torrent, it would have like 2500 seeds and 50 peers. my uTorrent would connect with like 40 peers and NO SEEDS AT ALL. :wtf: how the fuck does this work?? it doesnt make any kind of sense at all! my network settings are fine, getting very good speeds with the peers, just no fuckin seeds. there are 2500 seeds, and not ONE connection??

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It makes perfect sense: http://wiki.theory.org/index.php/BitTorrentFAQ

3. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

huh? anything specific on that page i should read?

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, most of the technical faq. But the jist of it is that when there is a huge gap between seeds and peers you are actually more likely to get the available missing parts from the peers first. Since their upload rate affects their download rate it gives them connections. That's why torrents like that are actually considered "bad" from a downloader's point of view.

As long as you are getting the file though it really won't matter where you get the peices from.

5. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

ok i understand that. but the thing is even tho im connected to 30 something peers the sum of all the parts they have is still incomplete. i can see it from the Availability column (thats what its called in uTorrent, i dunno what its called in other apps). with 30 something peers i would have like 0.87 available. so even tho im downloading at like 200Kbps ill still be stuck at 87%...no way around this?

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If that's the case it sounds like either there is an issue with the tracker or the seeds don't like your client for some reason. Have you actually let the torrents go to completion and been stuck in complete?

7. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

yeah ive let these kind of torrents go on for about a day in the past, and it'll still be stuck at some percentage even tho there are thousands of peers. these days i dont bother waiting, i just go and grab another tracker and hope that one is a good one. it's just annoying tho i hate seeing numbers like 0(2635) in the Seeds column (connected to 0 out of 2635 available seeds :squint).

ive deleted the tracker so i cant answer that. sorry.

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

yeah I think its shitty when that happens. isohunt gets that often too. My settings are all good too, and I can sometimes never get past 8X%