GUN Ok WMD...let's talk gun safety.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by weeeee, Apr 21, 2007.

1. weeeee

weeeee norcaldrift.org

So my wife hates the fact that I leave my pistol/rifles in the house. I'm not really a fan of gun safes (IMO takes too long to reach my weapon in a HD situation).

Any other alternatives? I'm looking for something to ease my wife's mind on having guns in the house and something easy to disengage.

2. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

get a safe for your guns, and keep your HD gun in the night stand?

3. weeeee

weeeee norcaldrift.org

She's concerned that in the future (we dont have kids yet) it will be a danger to our kid's safety.

I completely understand her feelings, but what's the best alternative

4. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

educate your kids on gun safety?

5. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

get a safe for all your other guns and keep the HD gun out of reach to children but still accessible if you need it. When they reach whatever reasonable age you think is appropriate you can teach them how to use it and then let them know where it is if they were to ever need it. Although you may not want to do the second part but the first part is a good compromise and should keep the wife happy until you think about putting the second part on the table.

6. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

They do have the fingerprint activated quick safes, but I have never used one to know the quality.

7. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Safe for non-HD guns; HD gun in night stand / under bed / wherever you want.

I need a safe. :hs:

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

get a safe for non-HD guns. wear your HD gun on your hip while you're at home, and when you go to bed, stow it where you can get at it quickly, but it's not accessable to others (under the mattress or something like that).

9. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

tell her to STFU till you have kids :dunno:

10. t1h

t1h Guest

don't have kids.

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

12. weeeee

weeeee norcaldrift.org

What about a fingerprint activated trigger lock?

13. weeeee

weeeee norcaldrift.org

She's being paranoid...but I don't really blame her. Being a teacher and knowing some of the VT victims hit close to home for her.

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I think I would personally choose the safe than a trigger lock if they were both fingerprint activated (not that I have heard of a fingerprint trigger lock) just because if the time comes where you need it the safe with 4"x6" door seems a lot easier to get ahold of the gun with some much adrenaline than something hooker through the trigger frame, just swipe finger open door and grab.

That being said in a couple months I will have a locked closet for the guns, not that it is the best situation for preventing a determined person from getting them, crappy door and and exposed hinge pins, but it will take time and tools or running through the door to get at them and it will definitely keep kids out (at least until they can use a hammer and a punch) then I have the 12 gauge pump by the bed as well as my carry gun.

15. feetball

feetball New Member

buy gun safe and put your wife in it until she quits being retarded about guns.

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

shoot her :dunno:

17. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

seriously, though. just convince her that if they're inaccessible they're not going to randomly shoot someone

both of my handguns are in the drop drawer of my dresser. no way my kid can reach them (yet). when he can, i'll move them. you can't throw them in a safe to hide from a kid that's curious and a teenager if he isn't even born yet.

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

:rofl:

But seriously, get a safe and a good holster. All but one long gun in the safe, gun in the holster on your belt. There's really no reason NOT to have a good safe/security cabinet.

19. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Yea, Id say get a safe for your other guns, and keep the HD gun out.

Or put that HD gun in a quick access safe as posted above. Easy to get too QUICK and keeps others out.

20. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Put guns in a safe and keep your pistol in a soft case or something on top of a high shelf no kids can get to

21. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

As already stayed, definitely educate the kids whenever you have them. Don't tell them "You can't touch this, this is bad, etc..", that'll just make them want to play with it because it's "forbidden". I don't think I'll ever want to get a gun safe, cause you never know when someone might feel like robbing your house, whether at night or in the day time.

22. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Educate her on gun safety and that guns don't run around killing people. I'd suggest getting a safe for your guns that are not being used for home defense. If it makes her feel better, buy a small handgun safe that you can place on or in your nightstand. They make electronic keypad safes or also fingerprint safes for quick access.

When the time comes to have children raise them around guns and educate them on guns. If it is something they grow up with they will learn to respect them and have the proper firearms training.

23. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

I just bought a safe about a month ago for that very reason. I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old. The 3 year old has seen my guns and knows that he shouldn't touch them, but the "be like dad" instinct is just to much at this age. All my guns are in the safe.

I'll keep teaching both my kids about guns and gun safety. I'm really looking forward to when they're old enough to take them shooting. :)

I'm thinking about getting a hand gun safe with a electronic lock for easy access. Seems like the best compromise between access and child proofing.